Brass has strange markings at base web.

TheDerkster

Gun info-Custom Savage 10 chambered to 7mm Sherman Short Mag using Norma 7mm SAUM brass and fairly hot loads with 59 grain R26 and 195 EOL. 28 inch 5R Krieger.

Was shooting today after testing out my custom ejector modification and noticed that on a couple pieces of brass, it looked like chatter marks from the chamber. The chamber looked clean, however, and i checked it right after I had my smith chamber it for chatter marks. I never saw any and Ive done just enough reaming to spot chatter fairly easy. Its pretty obvious even when its just a little bit. The loads that it did this on, however, were at least a grain under what I normally shoot (59 gr). no pressure signs other than slightly flattened primer which seems pretty hard to prevent even reducing the load quite a ways.

The picture hopefully illustrates where and how significant. I can definitely feel the dings or whatever it is. They stop right at the point where the brass has been sized down too. The middle and bottom picture have the marks (the bottom less so than the middle) and are load weights of 58 and 57.5 grains of reloader 26 consecutively. The top is 59 grains of R26 and has no marks. If you look closely, the marks seem to be evenly spaced. They are raised, not recessed. Ive never seen this before on brass. I never saw it before either so it must be from this firing because I double check the webs and fireform areas for splits or failure signs. None of the others had it. It was a little hot today and I was getting a lot of over pressure with 59 grains of R26 to the point it pushed brass into the ejector port and locked it up as well as stiff bolt lift, but none of those rounds had this same effect. Im thinking I might need to toss those pieces just to be safe. 4$ worth of brass < $4000 gun.

20160623_211705_zpstfr5bfqt.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.