remington 700 strange bolt lug question

foreign

Hi all
i just bought a rifle of a guy (no one on here) to build on and took it apart and found something very strange with the action lugs. To me it looks like some one has tried a blueprinting job but somehow messed up incredibly. Not too sure, maybe on some small chance its a factory thing. Would like some second opinions before i decide to take the guy to the cleaners.
here are the best pics i could get.
DSC06243.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC06242.jpg
[/IMG]

Thoughts? looks like steps in the lug if you cannot see the pics

Last edited:
That Is Bad. Less than half the lugs are/will be in contact and It looks like it was bored to deep
to re-cut (Square).

Also the action face has never been trued (You can see the cutoff marks).

The action needs to be destroyed so no one can/will use it in my opinion.

Like Eddie said, get your money back. I just hope if it was a smith you got it from he didn't know what it looked like
I'm sure they will give you your money back.

If it came from the factory like that I am shocked. Also If it had a factory barrel still on it the factory should
make it good.

I have never seen any action screwed up like that before.

Sorry

J E CUSTOM

Over the past 20 years I've dismantled two that have looked similar. Both wore factory barrels and appeared to have never been dis-assembled after leaving the factory. A 'factory' defect. When you buy a used firearm from an individual it's uasually "as is" (if the barrel's never been removed the seller doesn't know it's like that. and it appears in the photo that the barrel has never been removed). Depending on the age of the rifle, Remington may or may not 'make it good'.

Over the past 20 years I've dismantled two that have looked similar. Both wore factory barrels and appeared to have never been dis-assembled after leaving the factory. A 'factory' defect. When you buy a used firearm from an individual it's uasually "as is" (if the barrel's never been removed the seller doesn't know it's like that. and it appears in the photo that the barrel has never been removed). Depending on the age of the rifle, Remington may or may not 'make it good'.

just looking at the threads alone, it looks like they were cut on a lathe. Remington uses taps, and are threaded on Monarch VMC's with an angle plate like fixture. I see no break lines from the tap being reversed. If the threads were cut on a lathe, they did a poor job! I had trouble seeing deep inside the bore (real old eye balls), but saw hints of something grossly amiss. If the folks that recut the thread did this to the seating area, you can almost rest assured the area is soft. I think somebody screwed the pooch on this one; factory barrel or not!
gary

Thanks for the replys guys. Yep to me it looks like its been bored out. The face doesn't look like its been touched. I wonder if someone tried to work on it and screwed up and so put it back together. The stock has as a **** bedding job done at some point so some one has done some tinkering. But not sure how far they went.
The action did have the factory barrel on but no real way I know of to tell if its been unscrewed and then replaced.
The last owner of 15 years claims he had nothing done to it. Hes checking with the last guy.
Could one actually leave the factory like this? And would the factory replace it. It's aeast 20yrs old. I fired it 6 times before I opened it up. Glad nothing came back at me.

I'm in NZ so it's going to be a ***** dealing with Remington and getting one here. Anybody have contact details for Remington.

Cheers
Rob

If the treads have been re-cut the barrel would have a sloppy fit. After 20 yrs. Remington has washed their hands of it. Their warrranty doesn't last that long. There may be some evidence of prior barrel removal. Does the barrel shank show any marring, however so slight? Just looking at a photo, it's hard to come to any conclusion. UPDATE; Currently Remington offers a 2 yr. limited warranty to the original owner

Last edited:
I think that's a little ****** of Remington. Maybe they will make an exception here. This is worse than a factory recall I think. There was no marks on the natter I can see.
Serial number is 6598455. Anyone know rough age?

Thanks for the replys guys. Yep to me it looks like its been bored out. The face doesn't look like its been touched. I wonder if someone tried to work on it and screwed up and so put it back together. The stock has as a **** bedding job done at some point so some one has done some tinkering. But not sure how far they went.
The action did have the factory barrel on but no real way I know of to tell if its been unscrewed and then replaced.
The last owner of 15 years claims he had nothing done to it. Hes checking with the last guy.
Could one actually leave the factory like this? And would the factory replace it. It's aeast 20yrs old. I fired it 6 times before I opened it up. Glad nothing came back at me.

I'm in NZ so it's going to be a ***** dealing with Remington and getting one here. Anybody have contact details for Remington.

Cheers
Rob

Considering where you are and the difficulty of replacing the action, in my opinion the best thing to do is still to replace the action. No matter who screwed it up it would never be right.

What ever you do , I wouldn't recommend using it under any condition.

Sorry, I wish I had some magical fix but I don't.

J E CUSTOM

Considering where you are and the difficulty of replacing the action, in my opinion the best thing to do is still to replace the action. No matter who screwed it up it would never be right.

What ever you do , I wouldn't recommend using it under any condition.

Sorry, I wish I had some magical fix but I don't.

J E CUSTOM

Yup definitely need it replaced. The hard part is going to be getting Remington to care. Going to na a little ****ed if they do nothing. One replacement receiver on their part is nothing.

If you'd have bought that new,as "just a receiver", Chances are it'd be taken care of. I'd not hold my breath as it was a twenty + yr. old rifle. These are the chances you take when buying a used item.

If you'd have bought that new,as "just a receiver", Chances are it'd be taken care of. I'd not hold my breath as it was a twenty + yr. old rifle. These are the chances you take when buying a used item.

Yea but it was an original error from the factory. Only reason it's been found now is this is the first time the barrels been off

Just my 2 cents, but

1. The rifle is twenty years old
2. Remington cuts their threads using a tap. These appear to have been cut (or recut) on a lathe.
3. The previous owner and the previous/previous owner say they never had it worked on. ??
4. From the looks of it, IMO, the work isn't even worthy of an apprentice machinist's first job.

Do we truly expect Remington to pick up the pieces on this? Sorry, guys, but I don't see that happening unless their records indicate that at some point within the range of serial numbers applicable to this rifle they had some manufacturing issues.
I don't back the work I did twenty years ago if it comes back today, especially if it's had three owners over that time and I have no way of knowing who played with it since it left my shop.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.