remington 700 strange bolt lug question

Can you take a picture of the bolt locking lugs ?

I would like to see what it looks like. Like everyone else, with it apart I don't think they (Remington) will do anything about it. If it could have been found before it was dissembled you might have had a chance.

How about the guy you bought it from? he should make it good or work something out with you to split the cost In my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

I have heard stories of stepped recoil lugs. From what I have learned there was a manufacturing defect and the stepping was the fix, but your action is paired with your bolt, and they can't be separated.

Just my 2 cents, but

1. The rifle is twenty years old
2. Remington cuts their threads using a tap. These appear to have been cut (or recut) on a lathe.
3. The previous owner and the previous/previous owner say they never had it worked on. ??
4. From the looks of it, IMO, the work isn't even worthy of an apprentice machinist's first job.

Do we truly expect Remington to pick up the pieces on this? Sorry, guys, but I don't see that happening unless their records indicate that at some point within the range of serial numbers applicable to this rifle they had some manufacturing issues.
I don't back the work I did twenty years ago if it comes back today, especially if it's had three owners over that time and I have no way of knowing who played with it since it left my shop.

No, but like I said, they (???) might just surprise you ... the worst thing they'll say is NO. I know it's not Remington but I purchased a used Colt 2000 "All American" 9MM (manufactured in 1992-1994) in 2003 and have no idea how many previous owners or what was done with it but the price was right and I wanted it. :rolleyes:

Anyways, it jammed one or twice for every magazine load regardless of ammo I used. I contacted the CS and was told to ship it to them for troubleshooting. I got it back literally brand new -- they replaced the entire trigger assy, all the springs, replaced magazine with 2 brand new ones, and completely re-coated the finish at no cost to me. :D Never had any problem since then.

Perhaps I got lucky but I'll take that anytime -- excellent CS, esp. when they are not obligated to do so. :)

Cheers!

I have heard stories of stepped recoil lugs. From what I have learned there was a manufacturing defect and the stepping was the fix, but your action is paired with your bolt, and they can't be separated.

The bolt is just like any standard bolt. No stepping in it. But you can clearly see where it has just been bearing on the outer edges.

JE. The issue is that you would never find it until its taken apart. It functions fine and shoots and I'd guess the headspace would be a little out from wear. That exactly the issue though. Until it failed you wouldn't know.

bolt locking lugs
DSC06245.jpg
DSC06246.jpg
DSC06245.jpg

DSC06245.jpg
a>

DSC06246.jpg
a>

you can see the wear on the outer surface.

The bolt is just like any standard bolt. No stepping in it. But you can clearly see where it has just been bearing on the outer edges.

JE. The issue is that you would never find it until its taken apart. It functions fine and shoots and I'd guess the headspace would be a little out from wear. That exactly the issue though. Until it failed you wouldn't know.

Check the length of the lugs on the bolt. I had heard that some were reduced in length and/or the action lugs were stepped. I don't know what happened. It was years ago when I heard this. Maybe they had a run of bolts where the lugs weren't in the right spot and used them anyways.

Check the length of the lugs on the bolt. I had heard that some were reduced in length and/or the action lugs were stepped. I don't know what happened. It was years ago when I heard this. Maybe they had a run of bolts where the lugs weren't in the right spot and used them anyways.

Lug length .445" the other 3 Remington bolts I have have .437" lugs

Looks like it was that way from day one, there is no signs the lugs ever had contact inside the very obvious line where they had been riding for years! Bet you look at the bolts close from now on when buying used :D

Thanks for the pictures. That is what I thought it might look like and a good reference for others to look at/for when buying a action.

I am in the habit of looking at all bolt contact surfaces because I blueprint all of the actions I re barrel and want to see how well the lugs fit the receiver. The wear on the outside of the bolt is unusual and a flag to some but I can understand how that could be overlooked or missed.

When blueprinting an action, the purpose is to have a square and true contact between the bolt lugs and the receiver lugs with 100% contact. this helps accuracy and extends head space life.

Head space would have definitely changed in this action with no more contact surface that it had
also with the contact out on the end the chances of bolt set back would be good.

Look on the bright side though even though you have money invested in an action that IMO can't be used, you have educated a lot of people and by questioning what you had, And you may have prevented a situation for yourself and others.

I for one am glad you caught it and brought it to everyone's attention. but sorry you spent the money and may loose it.

Thanks again

J E CUSTOM

Thanks JE. Defiantly good learning for me. I was in a little but of a rush when I got it. NEVER AGAIN!! I should have noticed it if I looked harder. Though hind sight is 20/20. Anyone have a similar date/serial number model they would like to check?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts