Anneal the base of brass

Alex Wheeler has a great thread on this. Let me summarize.

The case head of brass expands a very minimal amount because it is the hardest & thickest part of the case.

The PRC chambers are too tight by spec. The brass cannot expand and spring back to a level to not have it stuck. This results in the click when the action is using primary extraction to release the stuck case.

Die makers size the head down their normal amount. When they try to go smaller to fit the PRC chambers, the dies crack.

The quality cases are made to spec.

The way I understand it is the smith can relieve the chamber at the base on a lathe. I would talk to Alex about this.

Just thinking out loud, I wonder if the case makers could make cases undersized??

Problem is this is all controlled by SAMMI. It will need either a new name or some kind of formal change. Not sure if that has ever been done??

In a nutshell, you need a smith that gets this issue to checkout your chamber and brass.

Just anneal the top portion. Never the base.

Your whidden should be fine. I have been using mine on on adg brass for a bit and so far it works very very well. You will need to use a very good lube tho. I use hornady wax but imperial would be another worth using. I tried one shot spray and that was a huge no go.

On another note, I have tested some brass from a chamber that was opened up and the brass would only size down to .5325 with a standard die. My whidden gets it down to .5305 but you feel the resistance.

I use imperial wax for all my reloading. My plan is to first use my Redding standard die to reduce the brass to SAMMI spec and them use the Widden custom die to size smaller

I use imperial wax for all my reloading. My plan is to first use my Redding standard die to reduce the brass to SAMMI spec and them use the Widden custom die to size smaller
What is the current fired brass base measuring? I think you'll be fine without doing that. I ran .5325 brass in my die which is spec'd .5275. That's pull for sure but .5315 brass isn't bad at all and it's likely your standard is going to size it to .5315 anyway.

You can also use the homemade lanolin lube…..I switched to that and it's noticeably easier than imperial…..but it also take a little more to wipe the lube off…..

Absolutely, anneal your primers before putting them in the annealed case heads though.
Not to be a d!ck but….some new ppl with absolutely no experience could seriously get hurt with this comment. I know we want to have fun with what others say sometimes and what ppl THINK are "stupid questions" but when it comes to safety, there is no such thing as a stupid question. This is why ppl rather not ask questions about things they don't know……you don't know what you don't know!

Last edited:
Absolutely, anneal your primers before putting them in the annealed case heads though.
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!
ANNEAL PRIMERS -ARE YOU JUST PLANE CRAZY OR REALLY STUPID!!!
YOU SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM TO POST SOMETHING LIKE YOUR STATEMEMT.
SOMEONE COULD TAKE YOUR POST SERIOUSLY AND GET SERIOUSLY INJURED!!!!

I personally know two people who stopped following this forum because of a person like jsthntn247. I have been reloading for seven years and have acquired a lot of helpful information from the knowledgeable and good people on this site, I thank you all for taking the time to share your experience and expertise. Up to this last post of mine everyone has been more than kind. I am glad that I don't believe that one bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

thanks
Scott

I personally know two people who stopped following this forum because of a person like jsthntn247. I have been reloading for seven years and have acquired a lot of helpful information from the knowledgeable and good people on this site, I thank you all for taking the time to share your experience and expertise. Up to this last post of mine everyone has been more than kind. I am glad that I don't believe that one bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

thanks
Scott
Scott and you friends. Don't stop following this forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable hunters, re-loaders, gunsmiths, shooters on here. This is someone that is not in a right mindset to ever post on here again. He-She should be ashamed of that post. It is ok to kid around, but not on a post where people new to reloading could actually do what was advised.
There are a great number of really GOOD people on this forum and I thank each and every one for the the help that they have give Jill and I.
Len & Jill

Get a lee sizer die they size more than factory specs for reliability. You can tell on pistol brass especially I bought some brass online sized with a Dillon die then checked it with a lee die I couldn't even tell it had been sized. Dillon dies don't size the web as much as lee dies do.
Learn something every day. Thanks for that insight. It's funny, for being the cheapest of the brands I wonder if there's any of us on here who DONT own something made by lee because it does what we need in a way the others don't. I've come to appreciate that company very much. No frills, no bs, occasionally no concentricity but they'll make it right 🤣, just humble honest equipment. Truth be told I prefer their sizing/decapping dies…got tired of having to replace RCBS pins after a while

Scott and you friends. Don't stop following this forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable hunters, re-loaders, gunsmiths, shooters on here. This is someone that is not in a right mindset to ever post on here again. He-She should be ashamed of that post. It is ok to kid around, but not on a post where people new to reloading could actually do what was advised.
There are a great number of really GOOD people on this forum and I thank each and every one for the the help that they have give Jill and I.
Len & Jill
Thanks Len & Jill, I have no intention to stop following. I look forward to reading this forum every day. I would like to take this time to thank you both for all your hard work and dedication to providing a format that hunters, shooters and reloaded can share their passion