Brass 45acp

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by CA30-06, Apr 17, 2014.

1. CA30-06

CA30-06 Active Member

Has anybody ever come across or had experience with 45 acp brass jacketed bullets?
    I have come across a bunch at the building my company has me tearing down( old UPS wearhouse. LOTS of free ammo from it falling out of mail order boxes). I have found about 100 230gn 45acp bullets, took them home and tumbled them to clean them up and they look like they have a brass jacket instead of copper. Never seen this. Thought I would ask the croud.

2. Kennibear

Kennibear Well-Known Member

A lot of military ammo, especial the foreign stuff, has brass jacketed bullets. When I bought tons of surplus 45 ACP to feed a Thompson M1A subgun most had brass bullets. I could not find any difference in how they shot. Maybe a touch less fouling as the extra zinc in the alloy should lower the friction a smidgen.

I would use them with a good midrange load, maybe 4.7-5.0 grains Bullseye or Red Dot.

KB

3. CA30-06

CA30-06 Active Member

I reloaded 50 of them with the same"by the book" 6.6 gn of unique that I load "normal" copper jacketed 230fmj rounds with. I planed on going to the range this weekend and seeing how they act. I just thought it was a unique bullet. I'm not a expert reloader by any means so when I found them they looked a lot different to me and I wanted to ask some guys who might have seen them.

Thanks for the insight.

4. RT2506

RT2506 Well-Known Member

If they are a HP bullet with twisted looking score lines on the nose their most likely Remington golden saber. They are brass jacketed. Also Montana Gold bullets have a brass color jacket and they make FMJ and HP bullets but their HP is NOT a good self defense bullet. I did a test with some 115 gr HPs from a 9mm in 2 gallon jugs of water taped together in a row. Hornady XTP and Speer Gold Dot were found in the second jug with test book expansion. The Montana Gold bullet which looks just like a Hornady XTP except for the brass color jacket shed it's jacket in little slivers and pieces in the first jug and then the lead core zipped though all 5 jugs and kept on trucking like a FMJ. The Montana Gold bullets are very accurate and after some research about them I found that the HPs are for target work especially on steel so they will not bounce back at you like FMJs do.

5. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

I get the best groups at 100 yards in 45acp rifle with 230 gr Montana Gold FMJ that LOOK like brass jackets.