45acp/45lc

jr1966

Haing never loaded for these calibers, a friend of mine wants too and asked me to help...well, I am a little puzzled having never researched these calibers and now realize they have a .451 and .452 dia bullets. I see the book calls for a .451 in the acp, so, what I am wondering is can you use a 451 in a long colt or a 452 in an acp? He has plated bullets. Anyways any further education from those who know would be great.

45 cal pistol is .451-.452". Usually cast bullets will run .452" if factory. The pre-wwII 45LC revolvers often were throated so you had to go to about .454" bullet diameter to get good accuracy.
The ACP is going to want a hardball or truncated nose bullet with no cannelure groove(taper crimp at proper book oal) and the LC really doesn't care nose profile but you will want a cannelure and rather heavy crimp biting into the cannelure groove. Measure the cyllinder throats on the lc if there's ? as to the gun's age, but a .452" cast pill is probably the way to go for it.
I wouldn't hesitate to go rock busting with a properly loaded lc at 200 yards or more. I go there with my 44 mag dang near every time I take it out. The 45 auto is usually good until 100 yards or so, but the shorter sight radius hurts much past that.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.