Brass 45acp

CA30-06

Has anybody ever come across or had experience with 45 acp brass jacketed bullets?
I have come across a bunch at the building my company has me tearing down( old UPS wearhouse. LOTS of free ammo from it falling out of mail order boxes). I have found about 100 230gn 45acp bullets, took them home and tumbled them to clean them up and they look like they have a brass jacket instead of copper. Never seen this. Thought I would ask the croud.

A lot of military ammo, especial the foreign stuff, has brass jacketed bullets. When I bought tons of surplus 45 ACP to feed a Thompson M1A subgun most had brass bullets. I could not find any difference in how they shot. Maybe a touch less fouling as the extra zinc in the alloy should lower the friction a smidgen.

I would use them with a good midrange load, maybe 4.7-5.0 grains Bullseye or Red Dot.

KB

I reloaded 50 of them with the same"by the book" 6.6 gn of unique that I load "normal" copper jacketed 230fmj rounds with. I planed on going to the range this weekend and seeing how they act. I just thought it was a unique bullet. I'm not a expert reloader by any means so when I found them they looked a lot different to me and I wanted to ask some guys who might have seen them.

Thanks for the insight.

If they are a HP bullet with twisted looking score lines on the nose their most likely Remington golden saber. They are brass jacketed. Also Montana Gold bullets have a brass color jacket and they make FMJ and HP bullets but their HP is NOT a good self defense bullet. I did a test with some 115 gr HPs from a 9mm in 2 gallon jugs of water taped together in a row. Hornady XTP and Speer Gold Dot were found in the second jug with test book expansion. The Montana Gold bullet which looks just like a Hornady XTP except for the brass color jacket shed it's jacket in little slivers and pieces in the first jug and then the lead core zipped though all 5 jugs and kept on trucking like a FMJ. The Montana Gold bullets are very accurate and after some research about them I found that the HPs are for target work especially on steel so they will not bounce back at you like FMJs do.

I get the best groups at 100 yards in 45acp rifle with 230 gr Montana Gold FMJ that LOOK like brass jackets.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.