Boyd's

H, I've bedded about a dozen for friends and family. They are very strong and have a huge amount of styles, colors and optional add ons. Very reasonably priced as well. Not seen a Boyd's which didn't need bedding, they are quite loose.

Last edited:
Good stocks, just make sure you bed them. Not just for fit and accuracy, but they (and essentially any other laminated stock) will almost certainly eventually crack if they are not properly bedded.

But if properly pillar bedded, they are fantastic stocks, especially when considering price.

I've used them on mostly rimfire rifles and only two CF rifles. I put one on a CZ 527 204 I used to have and I put a Boyd's AT-One on a Howa my dad has. I'm not really a wood guy, but they're a pretty decent stock, especially, when you factor in what they cost.

IMO, it's unfortunate Boyd's went with those plastic screw on pieces with their At-One stock because it would have had a better feel had it been all wood instead of the plastic panels and grip pieces.

I'm a firm believer all wood stocks should not only have the action fully bed, but they should have pillars installed as well.

I like Boyd's stocks I have one on a savage XP on 223 and a mossburg in 308 it has helped accuracy's and on the 308 has helped reduce recoil. They are a decent upgrade for the cheap plastic stocks.

I used Devcon Aluminum Putty for the bedding & J-B Weld (for convenience) to bond in the pillars for my LW Howa 7.62X39 project. See my post in the thread on bedding compound options for why I chose the AL putty.

Out of the box the Boyd's fit had the barrel rubbing the LS of the barrel channel at the tip. This on both the stock that I ruined while lightening it and the stock that I replaced it with. That said, when thinking about a wood stock or a stock for a Howa Mini 1500 (few stock makers offer stocks for this action) they're where I start first.

Don't put aluminum pillars in any stock you pour steel devcon in for bedding and pillars
Aluminum will expand and contract in the heat and cold and change your point of impact
I have bedded over a 1000 rifles in my 20 years of gunsmithing
I have 12 Boyd's stocks from 22-250 to 338 rum I shoot a 300 norma with a Boyd's stock sub 3/8 min groups at 1000 yds
Boyd's are great for the money and never have had one crack

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.