Boyd's stock for a 700 ?

windwalker1

Boyd\'s stock for a 700 ?

I am trying to get a 100, 200, 300 yard gun together, I won a 700 vssm 223 with a boyd's thumbhole laminated stock that has the vents cut into the barrel channel. I was checking it out today and preparing to torque the action bolts when I decided to check the barrel for complete free floating relief, I was very surprised to find that the stock has an appx 1" milled hump built into it appx. 1.5- 2.0" back from the end of the stock, which the barrel touches. Other than that "hump" the entire barrel is completely free all the way back to the Lug. Not really sure what to do? seem to me it defeats the entire purpose of the relief if the barrel is resting on the stock at that point.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Mark

Re: Boyd\'s stock for a 700 ?

I would load up some really nice hand loads and take it out to the range and see how she shoots. If the rifle shoots really well, than I would leave it alone. I am thinking that rifle will probably shoot 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. If you use some good reloads, it might shoot a little better than 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. If it shoots really bad, than take it to a good gunsmith to have him check out the hump. Anyhow, you won a really nice rifle. What is the twist rate on that particular rifle, I am curious.

Jake

Wildcat, I am going to shoot it before I do anything, just doesn't seem to jive with the floated barrel concept. It's a 1-12 twist, plannin on tryin 55grn Amax's for starters. In cleaning the barrel, I was pleasantly surprised that it felt pretty darn slick, haven't had a scope in it yet, but I will after the weekend. I'm really hopin for less than 1/2" at 100, the guys I see shootin at the range are in the .2's and .3's. Thanks for your idea's.

Mark

Hi Mark most Remington rifles have the barrel pad at the front of the barrel to stop the barrel osilating but i find it is best to remove it as if you place a diferent pressure on the forend while firing in diferent positions the point of impact will change. It is easy to remove just wrap some 240 grit sand paper around some 5/8" dowell and sand it down to the finish of the rest of the barrel chanel.

Take it out and shoot it first and tru placing diferent tensions on the forend like pulling the forend down into the rest then press one side of the stock against the rest like you would use a tree as a support and you will have your answer as to weather it will need relieving. But as i stated i would relieve it if it was mine. It sounds like a nice rifle god luck.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I'd do the barrel break in with the pressure point. you'll get an Idea of what it will do.

Then regardless of how it does, I'd remove the bump and free flow the whole thing to about the thickness of two business cards. (Well, at least 1&1/2 business cards)

Wild Bill and Roy,
It really is a nice rifle, and after hearing these thoughts I seem to remember something I read or heard somewhere about the pressure point thing. I was just really not expecting it when all the rest of the stock material had been removed to much more oversized dimensions, I will do the break-in with the pressure point and see what it does. If it does need to be removed it will be really easy, it's just a strip 1" wide. I'm going to bed the action after the break-in [too much hurry to shoot this weekend]. Thanks for your advise.

Mark

I put a Boyds Varminter thumbhole on my 700 in 300WM. I got it off of ebay and it was not finished, it was very rough cut. Also the action screws took some work to get them into the right place, and I free floated the barrel and bedded the recoil lug, and the front and back of the action. Now it seems that the barrel sits a little to the right in the channel. I don't know how it shoots yet but hopefully it is just cosmetic, but I will probably re-bed it and pull the barrel straight in the channel. My point is depending on who finished the stock it might have some compensation issues.

Joe OAkes

If you bed the rifle it will shoot better make sure you have some pillars fitted so the takedown screws do not colapse the stock over time or you will end up having to re bed the rifle down the track. It is best to do the job right the first time rather than doing it twice as it will cost you more in the long run also you might start chasing your tail thinking the bedding is OK and it is moving or the timber has compresed. By all means break the barrel in this week end but bed and float the barreled action. Sometimes you can just bed the action in a slight upward angle so the barrel misses the bedding pad in the forend it is not noticable at all when you are shooting the rifle but if the stock is finished well and you do not want to refinish it after the bedding job it can be done.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I have benchrest rifles rifles that were epoxy bedded over 30 years ago, WITHOUT "pillars", and the stocks have NOT collapsed.

It is an "urban myth" generated by gunsmiths who needed to get their kids through braces at the orthodontist!

[ QUOTE ]
I have benchrest rifles rifles that were epoxy bedded over 30 years ago, WITHOUT "pillars", and the stocks have NOT collapsed.

It is an "urban myth" generated by gunsmiths who needed to get their kids through braces at the orthodontist!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Catshooter you said it you have Benchrest rifles how many times do you go out in the rain hail and snow with a bench gun they are shot from a bench babied and never allowed to get any sort of grit or grime onto them. If you have a rifle that is used for hunting as well as some bench shooting their is a good chance that the timber might get moist and also their is a thing called compresion if timber is compressed it eventualy shrinks. If your benchrest guns are just bedded on "Timber" with epoxy and "Not glued in" i believe they would have had some change in the density of the timber and that you would have had to tighten the screws more now than when they were new. Are they composite stocks if they are the composites are slightly more stable than timber.

You mention that pillars are only to make a gunsmith rich i only charge $20 more for pillars to be used in a bedding job it is actualy easier and better in my opinion to use them. I machine my own out of stainless steel and they get glued into the stock with 2 pac epoxy then the rifle if it is a round action is bedded with a skim over the top of the pillars to make an exace copy of the action. Also you do not require any bedding compound under the trigger guard as it is resting on a slightly proud square stainless pillar. He can make pilars himself if he can get a drill press to make sure the pillar holes are exactly in the centre of the takedown screw holes and then make up some 1/2" pillars and drill the bar first an old 223 barrel can be quite handy. Then make sure their is some clearence on the takedown screw holes inside. cut them off to around 50-80 thou shorter than the hole and make sure their are radial lines on the outside of the pillars i prefer to cut a left hand and right hand square thread on them to make sure the grip. Make sure to glue them in after you have degreased all parts after this then bed as usual. For actions with flat bottoms i do it diferent i have the pillar bolted to the action and place the glue onto the pillars then the bedding compound into the bedding area and place it all togethor at once i even have some i have 1" diameter flats on the top of the 1/2" pillars to give the action a realy good flat bedding area that can not compress.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Bedding any rifle in any stock, except those with bedding blocks, without pillars is futile. I even put pillars in glue ins.

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Catshooter you said it you have Benchrest rifles how many times do you go out in the rain hail and snow with a bench gun they are shot from a bench babied and never allowed to get any sort of grit or grime onto them.
Cheers Bill
Australia

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, Bill... they were bench guns a long time ago, but I quit shooting, and now they're field rifles. They do get wet sometimes, but I don't take them out in the snow.

I have had no problems with the wood shrinking, or the bedding changing.

And I haven't seen any smiths in the USA that pillar bed a rifle for $20.
You need to move here - you will be VERY busy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Catshooter re read the post i only charge $20 EXTRA to use pillars while doing a bedding job not $20 for the whole job

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.