Boudin balls

specweldtom

I don't know if boudin is available everywhere, but where it is, this is a tasty meat dish.

Take about 4 links of boudin and cut them crossways into approx 1/2" thick slices. Thoroughly mix up 1 egg and about 1/2 cup of buttermilk or canned milk. Put that in a 1 gallon ziplock. Then put about a cup of Zatarain's or Tony Chacere's dry fish fry mix in another gallon ziplock.

Put all the pcs of sliced boudin in the ziplock with the egg / milk, seal it and slosh them around until all the slices are well covered. Then take them out and drop all of them one by one into the bag with the dry batter mix, seal the bag and tumble the slices until all are well coated.

Heat up enough cooking oil, (1" to 1 1/2" deep) in a medium to large boiler(until a drop of water pops and splatters), then carefully drop the slices in one at a time, about 10 - 12 slices, and deep fry them for 5 minutes or so until they are light brown (or darker if you like). Dip them out with a big slotted spoon that will drain them some, and put them on a plate or something covered with several layers of paper towel and let them cool. 4 links will make 40 - 50 pieces.

For those of you who are familiar with boudin, my packaging will make sense. I have a friend who gave me some medical "Bio Hazard" ziplocks and I enjoy putting the cooled boudin balls in them for storage. Redneck humor maybe?

Give 'em a try. Tom

Coonass cookin' in TX. Who wooda thunk it!! Can't get the stuff in ID:rolleyes:

I go through the Tony's likes its salt and make my own seasoning mixes from chef paul's books.

What if I tried your process with SPAM.....:D I'll find something it will work with.:rolleyes:

Yep, that's why Mr. Boudin never had any kids...........Boudin balls.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Chas1, when you find the right one, they're addictive. My favorite grocery store brand so far is Holmes Smokehouse, but the best I ever ate was from Chief's Meat Market in Jennings, Louisiana. Steer clear of Larry's Cajun Boudin though. It has chunks of liver, (or something), the size of your thumb. Hell, they might be thumbs.

Roy, you've sure been somewhere besides Idaho. You've got to be the only person in Idaho who knows that boudin is Cajun. I hadn't ever thought about how fortunate we are to have plenty of great TexMex, Cajun, and Soul food all in one place. It's miraculous that I'm only 30 lbs overweight.

Bon Chance, et laisses le bon temps rollez. Tom

That's all the French I know that's printable.

Tom,

Lived up river from NOLA for 7 years. Have two children born there. Ate ersters for the first time there.

I make a mean gumbo and sauce picante. May even try some Idaho game in it.

Rockchuck sauce picante.:rolleyes:

One of the better meals in my memory us Miss Mary's boiled turkey necks and cabbage after an extra long trying day.

My skin may be white but a good percentage of my taste buds are black.:)

Specweldtom, addictive!!! I know, eatin many. My wife's 1/2 cajun and her momma's 100%. Her whole family lives in LA-Baton Rogue, Praireville and so on.

Boys, ya'll got credentials. It's even more of a miracle if both of you ain't at least 30 lbs overweight.

Bon appetit, Tom

30 lbs overweight...almost there, I hope to get the rest of the way there by having the Misses try your recipe. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I been thinking about something Roy said. He may not have been joking either. About a year ago, I started pecan smoking bite size chunks, or 1/4" thick slices, of Spam just for grins. Hard to believe, but it makes it taste pretty good. The slices make a pretty good sandwich. He may be onto something making "Spam Balls". I'll have to try it! The ironic thing is that fairly crappy tasting Spam is more expensive than the same weight of good tasting Boudin!

Tom

Guys,

Moved to St. Charles Parish some time in '81. Gained 30 lbs the first month.

Learned that soft shelled crab gave me a major thyroid problem. Throat and face swelled to the point that my neck went away. Had trouble breathing.

Took 6 months to learn the cause and 6 months to learn that I could live with it.:rolleyes:

Thyroid is now dead. Take supplements. I think eating at Sal's in Luling done it in.

Tom, now I know you'll do to ride the trail with! I was just kiddin' about the spam thing.:rolleyes: You already tried it........:)

Reminds me of when driving down the road with a local fella and noted the number of those white cattle egrets in the pastures. He nonchalantly replied that if the things were any good to eat you'd wouldn't see a one of them.:)

Necks are good for crawfishin' though.:D

PS: Didn't loose the 30 #s until Dec '09 when my spleen was yanked out.

Last edited:
Royinidaho, thyroid, went through that with the misses took 3 months to figure out she had, I forget now whether it's hypo or hyper but Synthroid 135mg does the trick and all is normal. Hope all's good with you too.

It's waaaay off the thread, but did ya'll hear about the Cajun who was in federal court being tried for killing a whooping crane? He was in deep doo-doo. Had been caught way out in the swamp, eating the whooper. Given a chance to speak for himself after the defense rested, he told his story. "I was lost for 4 days in dat swamp and was plenty hongry wen I saw dis big bird. I snuck close enough in de watta to knock him out wit a stick. Den I was eatin 'im an de game warden found me. At firs, I was real glad to see him, but den he tol me I was unda arres' so here I am Judge, an I tell you, wen you bout to starve, you gonna eat sumptin, an dat's wat happen.

The Judge gave him a chewing out for getting lost, a misdemeanor sentence even though it's a federal felony crime, and 6 months probation. After adjourning court, the Judge, a midwesterner, stopped the very relieved Cajun and said; I'm very curious, what does a whooping crane taste like? The Cajun thought for a minute, and replied, well Judge, it tase a lot like Ball Eagle........

I think that it's an old joke, but down in the Chocahoula it could be true .

I used to work on a shrimp boat, and we sold a lot of shrimp in Cameron, Grand Isle, and up the Bayou LaFourche at Golden Meadows. I was 17 yrs old, and decided if I wasn't a Redneck, I would want to be a Coonass. Golden Meadows had a Catholic Church, a shrimp and net house, a Service Station, a small grocery and clothing store, and FIVE hellaciously big dance halls. What a place!!!!!

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.