Bore help

wilsey

Gents,
I have a Rem 700 AAC-SD .308 and just got done cleaning it...or I thought so anyway.
Shine a light on the muzzle and see this..

I used hoppes 9, nylon brush and then patches. I let it sit in the barrel for an hour.
Any ideas? Better solvent? Technique?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 66
Gents,
I have a Rem 700 AAC-SD .308 and just got done cleaning it...or I thought so anyway.

I used hoppes 9, nylon brush and then patches. I let it sit in the barrel for an hour.
Thanks in advance
That is copper that was stripped with the solvent but dried before it was removed. It should be easy to remove now, just clean it again with solvent and brush, then patch it dry.

Last edited:
A guy at the range had an issue with his rifle that didn't have that many rounds through it. He said it stopped shooting good groups and he wanted to know where he could get it rebarreled. I suggested we look at the barrel with my borescope. He had been using hoppe's #9 exclusively.

What I found were speed bumps of copper! I suggested he use a solvent that was designed to remove copper. End result the copper was removed and it shot well again. While Hoppe's is pretty good at removing powder residue it is a poor choice for removing copper.

I suggest that you too use a copper solvent. My favorite is Bore tech eliminator. It can be left to soak in the bore for extended lengths of time. Unfortunately for us and most like for you, it is not stocked locally. Brownells is a good source:

ELIMINATOR | Brownells

You could also use Barnes CR-10 or Sweets 7.62 cleaner which most gun stores carry locally. Both of these solvents contain ammonia which must be totally removed by CRC brake cleaner in the green can or your hoppe's.

Gents,

Thanks in advance
hopped #9 doesn't work for high velocity copper fouling, hopped benchrest #9 works a little better but there is better stuff out there, I had very good luck with Otis,gunslick,and m pro 7 high velocity copper cleaner. Also Remington 40x bore cleaner works fo really fouled barrels....

+1 for Wipe Out, no scrubbing. Gets them clean, verified with a bore scope.
Good luck

Yes, Hoppes #9 doesn't do much to remove copper. It's great at getting powder fouling out and giving the gun a 'smells like when Dad used to clean his gun' smell. Hoppes does make a Copper solvent, but there are better solvents out there. I use Hoppes #9 to et rid of the harsh copper solvents.

try Montana 50bmg copper killer, as good as sweets or cr-10. can also let soak in bore. hopes was made to remove corrosive priming, and powder fouling, not copper. don't know how many people have told me their rifle wouldn't shoot. come to find out they were using hopes and no copper remover. as another note for bore solvent, look at extreme bore solvent from Montana, with regular use you won't need the copper killer as much.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.