Boone & Crockett Stance on LRH

so it looks like leupold will have to redo there B&C rec on there scopes to 25 50 75 and 100 yards .........:

10x.

The place to vent your anger is with those who buy advertising space or donates to the BC club.

The picture tells you there is not room for discussion. Somehow they feel this view point benefits them. Effect their benefits, and the hypocritical whores will change their position.

I fail to see how hunting with a "sporterized" military rifle from a century ago, with a scope that won't hold zero to begin with, bent during installation, because of misaligned holes for the base screws for the see through mounts that were chosen because chances are the scope was going to fog anyway, puts me more in touch with nature.

10x.

The place to vent your anger is with those who buy advertising space or donates to the BC club.

The picture tells you there is not room for discussion. Somehow they feel this view point benefits them. Effect their benefits, and the hypocritical whores will change their position.

I fail to see how hunting with a "sporterized" military rifle from a century ago, with a scope that won't hold zero to begin with, bent during installation, because of misaligned holes for the base screws for the see through mounts that were chosen because chances are the scope was going to fog anyway, puts me more in touch with nature.

I guess I need to sell all my rifles but my old Marlin .30-30 with iron sights, and an old Tasco EXP 3-9x42/54. Guess I'd better junk my LeverEvolution ammo for it, too. Swap back to junky old Remington Core-Lokt 150gr lead tips.

:D

Jeff (BROZ) is all over this in the FB side and letting them have it. :cool::Dgun)

Attachments

• a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    a9cc6155-f27f-4013-830a-373fa278ce92_zps44fa0f82[1].jpg
    15 KB · Views: 96
Jeff Brozovich Oh the beautiful fact of accepted and paid for Hypocrisy. Boone & Crockett Reticle | Leupold Optics
Boone & Crockett Reticle | Leupold Optics
leupold.com
Leupold worked closely with the Boone and Crockett Club® to create the first optical product to bear The Club's name. With practice it will hone yo
Edited · Unlike · 5 · 1 hour ago

Billy George Well this is a little embarrassing for them. Kinda like I did not have sexual relations with
that women. Im mean its longrange but not longrange when we say it, right.
Edited · Like · 1 · More · 1 hour ago

Jeff Brozovich It's all about the $$$ people. Just keep giving them money. They have lost all respect in my world. Yes, lets point fingers and talk ethics, honor and integrity.
Unlike · 2 · 1 hour ago

David Smith Amen Boone and Crockett Club.
Like · 1 hour ago

Boone and Crockett Club The Boone and Crockett Reticle was designed for distances up to 500 yards. You can read about it and the reasons behind its development here: Boone and Crockett Club | Wildlife Conservation | Deer Hunting | Elk Hunting | Big Game Hunting | Wildlife Conservation | Deer Hunting | Elk Hunting | Big Game Hunting
Boone and Crockett Club | Wildlife Conservation | Deer Hunting | Elk Hunting | Big Game Hunting...
boone-crockett.org
The Club is dedicated to preserving our hunting heritage, scoring and keeping big game records, maintaining hunter ethics, and furthering conservation education.
Like · 1 hour ago

Billy George So boone and crockett you are saying that this reticle and statement above is not at all conflicting to your recent statement about longrange hunting? And officially saying that 500 yards is "the line" after that it is unethical and not fair chase?
Edited · Like · 2 · More · 1 hour ago

Jeff Brozovich Oh, so 500 is ok and 501 is not. So at 500 yards you have done a stalk and you are inside the animals zone where this in fair chase? ha ha ok boys. Just bend it to fit.
Like · 2 · 55 minutes ago

Boone and Crockett Club This is not about yardage, this is about intent. Please read our position statement. Boone and Crockett Club | Long Range Shooting | Wildlife Conservation | Deer Hunting | Elk Hunting | Big Game Hunting

Leupold Optics has the technology to build hunting scopes that could reach out to 1000 yards plus, but they haven't. The B&C reticle was developed in conjunction with us in 2004 in an attempt to address the inherent problems with long range shooting.
Boone and Crockett Club | Long Range Shooting | Wildlife Conservation | Deer Hunting | Elk...
boone-crockett.org
The Club is dedicated to preserving our hunting heritage, scoring and keeping big game records, maintaining hunter ethics, and furthering conservation education.
Edited · Like · 47 minutes ago
Boone and Crockett Club This is not about yardage, this is about intent. Please read our position statement. Boone and Crockett Club | Long Range Shooting | Wildlife Conservation | Deer Hunting | Elk Hunting | Big Game Hunting
Boone and Crockett Club | Long Range Shooting | Wildlife Conservation | Deer Hunting | Elk...
boone-crockett.org
Like · 46 minutes ago

Amie Bane Thats exactly what Boone & Crockett does. Just like on their views of high fence hunting and deer breeders. The funny thing is they dont mind taking money from those clubs that promote high fence hunting.
Like · 45 minutes ago

Jeff Brozovich Well my intent is to take the animal as quickly and cleanly as possible. With whatever legal means that is. Your side stepping and it is your self inflicted argument put forth in very poor taste. The picture of the tank alone is a slap in the face to many ethical sportsmen that hunt within their effective range. You can't change or deny that anymore than you can you involvement in the B&C long range reticle.
Edited · Like · 3 · 37 minutes ago

Boone and Crockett Club We don't state that taking a long shot is unethical. What we say is if your intent is to see how far you can hit an animal you're no longer hunting.
Like · 34 minutes ago

Jeff Brozovich Well if you put the score of the antlers above the quality of the outdoor experience , then you are not hunting either. Not that I believe that but, See what I mean? Your "Statement" is silly and does not hold water. Why in the world even start all this and separate us as one?
Edited · Like · 3 · 28 minutes ago

Dana Rogers Couldn't agree more! Shooting long range is a skill for sure but snipers are for military apps not hunting and taking big game. Get close
Like · 27 minutes ago

Billy George B&C I shot my deer last year at 916 with a leupold and leupold produces many scopes geared for the military and L.E. sniper so im pretty sure leupold optics is in the buisness of building scopes to shoot out to 1000 plus, very poorly thoughtout and uninformed statement. On the point of intent. If my intent is to get the best shot possible to cleanly harvest my animal than why is longrangeshooting condemned in your statement. I understand you dont support a guy setting up on a ridge for nothing less then 1000 yard shot but to call him unethical? What if he has practiced with hundreds of rounds has all he needs to make this shot. Is he unethical while the guy who may or maynot have zeroed is rifle and sees a big boone and crockett mulie at 250 and starts shooting? If intent is the factor and a hunter only has intent to harvest the animal as humanely as possible then what does range matter. One could argue that after 200 or 300 yards you are outside the animals senses, yet your reticle is designed to 500. I consider myself to be an ethical hunter with the intent to cleanly and humanely harvest my game. I practice with hundreds of rounds a year. Sometimes its not as close as you guys prefer but I assure you its an ethical shot. With this position you have taken you are telling me that you feel Im unethical and basically irresponsible.
Edited · Like · More · 21 minutes ago

Jay Helfrich So this Leupold Mark 4 "Long Range/Tactical" scope in an 8.5x25x50 configuration is not made for shooting long distances including those over 1K yards? You are wrong.

Mark 4 ER/T Riflescopes Archives - Leupold Optics | Leupold Optics
Mark 4 ER/T Riflescopes Archives - Leupold Optics
leupold.com
Leupold® Mark 4® Long Range/Tactical riflescopes are arguably some of the most dependable, highest performing riflescopes you'll find anywhere. Their accuracy is proven in the field. Their rugged and...
Unlike · 1 · 20 minutes ago

Jeff Brozovich So B&C this is what you are saying. If I hike 5 miles in to steep country to find that 400+" bull. That I intend to cut and pack out making 3 trips. He is on the other side of the canyon at 1200 yards. I am only hunting if I get closer and take the chance of only getting a fleeing shot? When I have practiced this shot over and over for years?
Edited · Like · 18 minutes ago

Billy George B&C how can you say this in a comment above
Boone and Crockett Club We don't state that taking a long shot is unethical. What we say is if your intent is to see how far you can hit an animal you're no longer hunting.
When you say this in your position statement "The Club finds that long-range shooting takes unfair advantage of the game animal, effectively eliminates the natural capacity of an animal to use its senses and instincts to detect danger, and demeans the hunter/prey relationship in a way that diminishes the importance and relevance of the animal and the hunt. The Club urges all hunters to think carefully of the consequences of long-range shooting, whether hunting with a rifle, bow, muzzleloader, crossbow, or handgun, and not confuse the purposes and intent of long-range shooting with fair chase hunting."
Does this make sense to you?
Like · More · 15 minutes ago

Lynn Ward Ethics and morals are not measured in yards...they can only be found in the heart of a hunter...and if that hunter can cleanly harvest his game at 1,500 yards...that is all that matters. Do you think cave men had this debate when they figured out how to make spears, or when they progressed to bow and arrow...if they had decided it was unethical to use anything but their bare hands we likely wouldn't be here today...Sneaking up on a deer/elk, etc. isn't easy....neither is an 800 yard shot...both take skill, patience, determination...and a little bit of luck....I've lost 2 deer that I've shot in my life (41 years) and one of them was shot at about 50 feet with a 25-06...looked for a week, stayed out of work and everything to look for that deer...never did find him...the other was a long range shot (803 yards) but this time I did find the deer later....both were my fault, and I learned from the mistakes made both times and haven't repeated either one since...18 years now and no lost/injured animals...from 15 yards with a crossbow to 1,200 yards with a rifle....it all comes down to knowing when to shoot and when to let it go....regardless of the range.
Edited · Like · 1 · 14 minutes ago

Del Felden That's not what they're saying Billy. If you're out to kill something at 1000 yards for bragging rights, that's unethical. Big game isn't for target practice.
Like · 12 minutes ago

Del Felden That's not what they're saying. If you're out to kill something at 1000 yards for bragging rights, that's unethical. Big game isn't for target practice.
Like · 6 minutes ago

Billy George I can agree with that Del Felden but thats not what they are saying. Have you read it? They said the club finds that it takes an unfair advantage and demeans the hunter/prey relationship. Thatsca little different than what you stated.
Like · More · 5 minutes ago

Lynn Ward I don't think anybody is bragging about how far away their animal was...I haven't seen one single brag in this entire discussion.
Like · 4 minutes ago

B&C's statement. The distance at which a shot is considered "long-range," ethical, or unethical cannot be defined by specific yardages because this varies with each individual situation. It depends on equipment, shooting conditions, the species being hunted, the hunter's experience and marksmanship skills, and other variables.

B&C took a stance on what they determine "long range." Part of their definition states a specific yardage can't be defined. What this means to me. If I hunt in conditions where shot probability is low and take the shot anyway and the range is a factor then that range is too long or "long range" by what I determine B&C is meaning by the statement above.

I agree with their statement. A 2400 yard shot with my guns in my type of hunting conditions and most likely atmospheric conditions is a low probability shot. If conditions were somewhat favorable and an animal stays somewhat stationary, I'm reasonably certain I could harvest a big game animal at 2400 yards or greater if given the opportunity to shoot between 4 to 10 shots. I estimated this number by practicing at these ranges.

2400 yards is "long range" to me by their definition. Under the right conditions 1400 yards plus or minus a few hundred more isn't. As stated above, "It depends on equipment, shooting conditions, the species being hunted, the hunter's experience and marksmanship skills, and other variables."

If one is confident they can make a similar shot multiple times again and again on a big game animal, range isn't the only determining factor.

Apparently, B&C does not agree that we should be shooting animals past 100 yards because we are using an unfair advantage.

Boone and Crockett Club | Long Range Shooting | Wildlife Conservation | Deer Hunting | Elk Hunting | Big Game Hunting

Position...
The Club finds that long-range shooting takes unfair advantage of the game animal, effectively eliminates the natural capacity of an animal to use its senses and instincts to detect danger, and demeans the hunter/prey relationship in a way that diminishes the importance and relevance of the animal and the hunt. The Club urges all hunters to think carefully of the consequences of long-range shooting, whether hunting with a rifle, bow, muzzleloader, crossbow, or handgun, and not confuse the purposes and intent of long-range shooting with fair chase hunting.

C'mon now, animals have feelings too! :D It's just not fair!! :)

DocB

Time to break out the loincloth and flint knapped spear.............oh wait, spear is long range. Make it a knapped knife.
What a stupid thing for them to publish. Talk about dividing the ranks.

Randy
(I'm currently looking for my camo loincloth---would that be an unfair advantage?)

i dont see anywhere on thier forms where one needs to record the distance of the shot that took the animal:rolleyes: oh well

I love it, i went to the FB post and recognized 4 members of this site. And im sure there are more.

I do think B&C comments were a slap in the face of long range hunters. At the same time I do get what the are trying to say regarding some idiot trying to shoot game at x distance to try and hit it on a whim.

Me personally I have never released at shot without full confidence in my rilfe and myself to make a clean and ethical kill.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.