Bone to pick with new rifle owners - 100 yards out of the box

Our state appears to be full up with em. Drove to Seward last winter and we played a game... spot a not shot sign. Think only the mile marker signs were spared. I've no idea what the state pays for repair but just signs alone has to be hundreds of thousands.
Not only the cost to the state for repairs, but the black eye it gives the rest of us.

I noticed some recently new signs on our backroads that had been shot up already.

Thats enough to **** off the Pope.

Thank you! I had a 2 year old son at the time of my accident. I had to be a father and raise him no matter what was going on with me. There was no give up option. If there's a silver lining in my story it's that I got to stay home and raise and watch him grow up. That doesn't get to happen for everyone these days. He's a heck of a shot with anything you put in his hands. I started him at 3 with a BB gun and by 5 he was shooting 410s and 22 rifles. We shoot together a lot. He shoots regularly at 600 yards with an open sighted AR or Korean K2 and stays on the plate. I can't even see the target through the peep. He's also a consistent 85 and above sporting clays shooter and one hell of a pistol shot. That's the one good thing about shooting. Even in a wheelchair or having to use a walker or cane, young or old, it's still something you can do with the whole family.

Wonderful!!!

Open sites at 600 yards, i might hit something as large as a car, on a good day.
That's amazing.

My 308 between 800-1000 will leave me scratching my head a lot. The field I shoot in has eddy wind, hedgerow effect, and full value crosswind and it can all be happening at the same time. Plus mirage can be an absolute bear. I do better with the 6.5-06 but even it can make me shake my head. It's still a whole lot of fun!

Which is what targets should be, fun.
And you are learning things, even while scratching your head.

It didn't die after the 1st shot? 😁

So now I'm curious.....what did you learn from those 6 rounds?
Did that make you a better shooter? Did it help with polishing your skills to shoot longer ranges or to be more accurate?

It taught me most of all too really watch the wind gusts, it was very gusty, and to better predict Sam moving around.
I fired those 6 from the saddle, and was trying hit where a branch had been broken off. I was both left and right of it, not hitting it, because I over compensated for the wind.
But Sam also learns that there is no set number of shots that I will take, which is why I vary how many i fire from his back, also the pattern, speed, and paying attention to him.
Sam is an animal, we have a strong bond, likely better than most people will ever have with a horse. But at the end of the day he is still after all an animal. He tries to anticipate how quickly i will shoot, and how many rounds.
He is generally solid for 2 shots, but if the 3rd isn't coming fast enough for him, he fidgets. So i shot 2 rapidly, then hesitated on 3 and he seemed a bit surprised by #3.
I waited a bit before #4 then again waited a bit but 5 and 6 were really close together.
We are getting better as a team every time.
My goal is to have Sam stand as still as a statue until I let him know that I am done. We haven't quite got there yet, but he is better than he used to be, and if i fire a shot while he is fidgeting around, he almost instantly stops.

Wonderful!!!

Open sites at 600 yards, i might hit something as large as a car, on a good day.
That's amazing.
I don't care for peeps. Everything looks fuzzy to me. Particularly in bad lighting. But his K2 has a pretty nice peep design and he makes the most of it with his young eyes. The design of the K2 is quite interesting with a unique folding stock. It's been one of his better pawn shop buys.

It taught me most of all too really watch the wind gusts, it was very gusty, and to better predict Sam moving around.
I fired those 6 from the saddle, and was trying hit where a branch had been broken off. I was both left and right of it, not hitting it, because I over compensated for the wind.
But Sam also learns that there is no set number of shots that I will take, which is why I vary how many i fire from his back, also the pattern, speed, and paying attention to him.
Sam is an animal, we have a strong bond, likely better than most people will ever have with a horse. But at the end of the day he is still after all an animal. He tries to anticipate how quickly i will shoot, and how many rounds.
He is generally solid for 2 shots, but if the 3rd isn't coming fast enough for him, he fidgets. So i shot 2 rapidly, then hesitated on 3 and he seemed a bit surprised by #3.
I waited a bit before #4 then again waited a bit but 5 and 6 were really close together.
We are getting better as a team every time.
My goal is to have Sam stand as still as a statue until I let him know that I am done. We haven't quite got there yet, but he is better than he used to be, and if i fire a shot while he is fidgeting around, he almost instantly stops.
Out of curiosity, how far was the log?

100% true! I've seen this many times! I had my ex wife and kids shoot clay pigeons and where they could consistently hit them, I'd let them hunt that distance. I knew that was well under the size of the vitals and gave them a reactive target instead of being disappointed in group size.

Meat eater is still going strong. Last season it seems to have lost its way a bit, but this season it's back to what it used to be like. It's the only hunting show I'll watch. The focus is on the animal, not the product, and it shows all the successes and failures. I've recently been watching back through the old episodes and was surprised that at least 25% end in no kill. You don't find that on any other show.

Check out Modern Day Mountian Man.
That and Meat Eater are the two I watch

Couldn't agree more and your sentiment is a lot of the reason I dislike the creedmoor craze, though cartridge is irrelevant in this conversation. Some of these clowns go out and spend money on equipment but they don't bother to learn it. They buy into the hype that it's a point and click application when in reality it is much more than that.

LoOk MoM iM a SnIpEr!!
Take it one step further and look on youtube at some of the venerable experts who've been shooting or reloading a few weeks who've decided to teach the world what they know. Albeit, a few really know what they're doing, but a number of them simply like to make videos of themselves.