Bolt won't close on bergara with factory ammo

Buddy of mine had the exact same problem. Factory ammo, brand new rifle, first range trip and bolt closing was tough. His was a 22-250. Tried 3 different types of ammo at Scheels after never firing it. That's where he got it the week before. The same ammo that wouldnt fit at the range didnt have a problem clambering in the back of Scheels. Turns out the gun just has an usually stiff bolt feed and close. The gun is a true factory tack driver too.

As I type this it just sounds weird and concerning but pressure signs haven't existed with it either and I agree if you have to truly force the bolt to get it to close, have it inspected.

Does the fired Nosler brass allow the bolt to be closed. EBay has cameras for 12.00 to 30 bucks connect to a,pc or android phone . Factory ammo should work no matter. call or take the rifle back to the dealer. could be a manufacture problem. Throat to short, if the ammo fits in the magazine it should chamber length wise. Call the dealer or take it back.

La chambre a été bien nettoyée ?
If Google translated this correctly then no the room was not cleaned...I was shooting outside dirt and leaves and bugs and mold everywhere.
But the chamber looked alright, didnt actually run a patch through it. Going to do that today. Pulling the stock to try and get a better look inside.

Ever thought about that there might be an issue with the factory ammo? The so called Delta - L problem, which means in reality that the delivered ammunition was manufactured with maximum tolerances, but your chamber has those of minimum. Happened often and is happening still.
This is actually very likely. Since 2 different hornady rounds chambered fine. I am leaning towards thinking the Nosler was just max tolerance in a minimum tolerance chamber, and the bearing surface on the Nosler is much longer than the that of the hornady bullets were.
Or a burr...maybe the $10 ebay camera is in order

FIND THE PROBLEM! Before it finds you!!! Forcing the bolt is NEVER a good thing, just my 2cents
Definitely agree, that's why I chose not to fire, or to force it multiple times. Without knowing the cause of the issue it would have been foolish to keep messing with those particular rounds. I was grateful that I had different factory ammo show up that I was able to test fit in the chamber and pleased that it cycled flawlessly.

If the picture is accurate & the bases of the two cartridges are Even ? Is the one on the right the one that chambered?? But was tight?? Did it extract with relative ease??
It appears that the shoulder is pushed back & the bullets definitely jammed into the lands —-
If chamber & all is clean,
And it were Me!! I would seat the bullet deeper (enuff so that the Channellure is almost completely obscured by the mouth of case) and see if it will make Bolt closing smooth & easy - !!! If Yes - Good, if Not - contact Manufacturer or seller to take back rifle -

Bolt operation/closure & opening for extraction should be Easy & Smooth - if not dere is truly a problem

I'm out shooting right now, and the bolt wont close. Brand new bergara b-14 6.5 creedmoor, never fired. Trying factory Nosler 120 gr ballistic tips. Tried to chamber one, bolt wont close, tried another and another. Very tight. Forced it on one and drag marks on bullet. Not firing it because from what I'm seeing it looks to be jammed .250" When I get home I'll start taking measurements to see what's going on, but just from my description and the picture below what say you?
One chambered, one not.View attachment 123871
I have a new Bergara. Did your new Nosler round fit the DBM. If not then I can see why you were jammed. I currently am loading the Nosler 142gr ABLR and there is .073" difference between just touching the lands and fitting the DBM.

Most 6.5s have crazy long throats to accommodate heavy high BC bullets. I don't need or want to use heavy bullets. Unfortunately, the long throat means that light bullets won't reach the brass neck when set to just short of touching the lands So when I built my 6.5, I ordered a reamer with a short throat, a no-turn neck, and a barrel with a long twist. This is all ok because I hand load. But it also means I cannot use factory ammo. My barrel is not marked to identify that but if I ever sold it, I would mark it first.

I'll bet bergara designed that rifle for light ammo, and Nosler designed the ammo for long throats. Sammi standards for minimum chamber and maximum cartridge are designed to avoid this conflict, but custom rifles don't often adhere to Sammi standards.

That's just a guess.

Measure the throat and the Nosler ammo and compare. Also measure the twist. 8" is pretty standard for the 6.5. 9" or more would indicate it was designed specifically for light ammo.

Also, look on the barrel for info regarding twist and throat. Also look in the info that came with the rifle.

I'm out shooting right now, and the bolt wont close. Brand new bergara b-14 6.5 creedmoor, never fired. Trying factory Nosler 120 gr ballistic tips. Tried to chamber one, bolt wont close, tried another and another. Very tight. Forced it on one and drag marks on bullet. Not firing it because from what I'm seeing it looks to be jammed .250" When I get home I'll start taking measurements to see what's going on, but just from my description and the picture below what say you?
One chambered, one not.View attachment 123871
I had either a bergara or tikka. I misremember which that had the same problem. I finally figured out I had the wrong screw in the rail. There were two lengths and the short one went up front or the bolt wouldn't close.
I recently had a similar problem with Nosler brass and discovered an inconsistent rim thickness causing tight chambering.

Another silly thought. I was reading your posts in this thread and noticed that you said the marks on the bullet were only on one side of the bullet. That's really wierd!

It suggests that bergara chambered the rifle off center (impossible to believe), or there is something in the chamber or throat that is pushing the cartridge off side (much easier to believe). You say this is the first time you ever shot the rifle. Did you clean it first? Manufacturers and gunsmith often put heavy packing grease in bores and chambers to prevent them from corroding in shipment and storage. If you didn't clean it properly, that might explain everything.... .

Last edited: