Bolt Handle Hitting Trigger Finger on Recoil

gbett308

Has anyone else come across a problem with the bolt handle hitting the back side of the trigger finger during recoil? If I really dig into the grip and try to hold trigger upon recoil, I still get the back of the trigger guard hitting the back of my middle finger.

Rifle is Rem 700 Sendero in 300wm without a brake, recently re-barreled and changed to a Weatherby-style stock for higher cheek weld. I was not having this problem with the previous stock...maybe the new stock is too short? It was done by a professional and fit pretty tight. Any thoughts?

I'd put a brake on it simply because it's a 300WM.
With a stock or bottom metal change, sounds like your hand is slipping forward on recoil. Do you have your original equipment to compare your grip position?
Putting too much hand squeeze on your new stock won't add accuracy as you need to just make sure it's sitting comfortably as you practice and roll with the punch.
Put a break on it, lol. You'll thank yourself many times over.

I'd put a brake on it simply because it's a 300WM.
With a stock or bottom metal change, sounds like your hand is slipping forward on recoil. Do you have your original equipment to compare your grip position?
Putting too much hand squeeze on your new stock won't add accuracy as you need to just make sure it's sitting comfortably as you practice and roll with the punch.
Put a break on it, lol. You'll thank yourself many times over.
The brake is something I had not been considering, not a bad idea. Though, I don't mind and tolerate the recoil ok, groups have been good. Thx.

Sounds like you are slapping the trigger and your trigger hand is losing contact with the stock. You don't want a death grip on the stock. There are some good instructional videos online coving shooting technique. Snipers Hide has some good ones to check out. Without seeing a video of your technique, any advise is educated guessing

Are you shooting off a bench or a bipod? I'm thinking two things, both stance related, and they might sound contradictory but both are based on you saying you have a "Weatherby" stock, aka a traditional pistol grip (not the modern tacticool pistol grip).

If you're squared up behind the rifle sounds to me like the rifle is moving significantly more than it should, meaning it might not be in your shoulder pocket. Same way some people get the halo scar between their eyes if a sharp scope cuts them on the recoil, they didn't have control and the gun arced up on them during the recoil cycle. Should be going straight back into your shoulder, and shouldn't be moving much. Your hand is cammed too far forward on the stock and the gun is arcing up and hitting you because you don't have control over the recoil movement.

If you're in a more bladed position (meaning the barrel is at an angle to your body line), then I'd think it's the opposite issue - you aren't camming the hand enough, and you're trying to shoot it like a vertical grip with your trigger finger in line with your forearm instead of cammed down 45*, so your hand is out of position. When you squeeze the heck out of it you're squeezing it like a hammer handle (think about holding a framing hammer) and forcing your hand more vertical than it should be if you relaxed and let the wrist cam down to follow the stock line - meaning you need to cam down harder with the heel of your hand rather than squeezing with your fingers.

PERSONALLY,.. I'd SELL the Rifle and Buy, a Tikka T-3, in, a LESS Powerful Cartridge like,.. 7mm-08, 7 rem Mag, .270 WSM etc.,..
And "ditch", the Brake idea,. that's, JUST me, tho ! .300 Mags are NOT necessary, in lower 48 for, Big Game !
These other Cartridges, ARE way MORE pleasant, to shoot and ALL you need to do is, put the RIGHT Bullet, in the Boiler Room !
I'd put, the Rifle, BACK IN, the original Stock and sell, the New stock and Rifle, separately.

Last edited:
PERSONALLY,.. I'd SELL the Rifle and Buy, a Tikka T-3, in, a LESS Powerful Cartridge like,.. 7mm-08, 7 rem Mag, .270 WSM etc.,..
And "ditch", the Brake idea,. that's, JUST me, tho ! .300 Mags are NOT necessary, in lower 48 for, Big Game !
These other Cartridges, ARE way MORE pleasant, to shoot and ALL you need to do is, put the RIGHT Bullet, in the Boiler Room !
I'd put, the Rifle, BACK IN, the original Stock and sell, the New stock and Rifle, separately.
Where are those Tikka T-3's made at?

Made in Finland ! They usually sell for about, $750 ish, New.
I love MY two at,. 7.5 Pounds,.. "all up" ( great, "Hunting" Rifles )
I use, the .243 Win. for Deer / Antelope and, the .270 WSM with, 140's for Elk.
My son shoots, the 7mm-08 with, 168 Berger's