Bobby Hart

the blur

I sat through a Bobby Hart seminar in PA. Lots of great information.
One thing I thought was interesting. For a hunting rifle, he recommends staying away from wood stocks, and he likes stainless barrels.

Wood stocks absorb moisture, places like Newfoundland. and stainless is more robust.

Definitely going to buy a plastic stainless Tikka for my next toy. I really liked his seminar.

One thing I thought was interesting. For a hunting rifle, he recommends staying away from wood stocks, and he likes stainless barrels.

Wood stocks absorb moisture, places like Newfoundland. and stainless is more robust.

Definitely going to buy a plastic stainless Tikka for my next toy. I really liked his seminar.

Wood laminate stocks are very stable even in foul weather. They are stronger than most of the cheap plastic stocks too. Just a thought.

I met an Alaskan guide who I worked with late 90's early 2000. He was a paramedic. Had a grizzly on casters, Doll sheep mount, wolf etc.
He didn't have to say much more than do you want to go next trip, for me to get excited and say yes. Asking his preference of weapon in the years living there, (born and raised there) he said, "Ruger 77 stainless in 300 Win. Mag., a good 3-4 x whatever power by 50, bikini scope cover and sling will do everything needed."

There are better, lots with less recoil than that lightweight rifle but carrying it will be more torturous if heavy than 1 or 3 recoil. So I chose the rifle he specified. It shot exceptional by what others had said about the rifle. Under moa. reliably and consistently.

The trip we did not get to make as a very very nasty divorce was dropped into his lap a short time after my rifle purchase. Life happens and we just roll with it if possible.

There is a reason after Vietnam, sniper rifles were replaced with fiberglass. Now carbon fiber lets you get same performance with a little less weight.

Laminate is nice and warm, but a little heavy.

I have f-glass and CF items in the inventory for the crappy weather, and wood stocks have liabilities compared to whatever else is available these days. But wood stocks sure look a hell of a lot better than the alternatives. Take care of them and they'll take care of you. Samples in the cabinet:

P3120003.JPGP7170010.JPGP8080002.JPGP4200004.JPGP8180005.JPGResized952022051495072441.jpg

Well i guess there would be nothing wrong with having a rifle you really like for the nice days.
And one you dont like quite as much for the bad days.
But fact is that poor weather and hunting long range dont mix well anyway.

All my hunting rifles are stainless. Its funny, only two wood stocks, one standard, only use it in blinds, and one laminate, probably wont ever get used hunting, (375 H&H) can't affort the hunts for that caliber.

There is a reason after Vietnam, sniper rifles were replaced with fiberglass. Now carbon fiber lets you get same performance with a little less weight.

Laminate is nice and warm, but a little heavy.
Here's a laminate and a synthetic.

Attachments

• 83ACBDBF-8BEA-41B4-8294-0C96985C527D.jpeg
    83ACBDBF-8BEA-41B4-8294-0C96985C527D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 20BA86EA-6839-453D-B506-ABC7CC3B91F7.jpeg
    20BA86EA-6839-453D-B506-ABC7CC3B91F7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
so a plastic stock with stainless steel barrel seems to be the way to go.
Not a plastic stock in my opinion. You want something rigid that will minimize action movement. I would rather a laminated wood stock before plastic, however fiberglass or Kevlar is the way to go. Don't skimp on your purchase or you will be disappointed and purchasing again. Just my opinion. Good luck.

so a plastic stock with stainless steel barrel seems to be the way to go.
I'd say the plastic stock is/was a bad idea for the shooter and a good idea for the accountants at the manufacturers. The f-glass and CF guys came up with a good option to remedy the situation.

Recent Posts