"Blueprinted"

There's a 50% chance that they just had it assembled by a gunsmith instead of going DIY in their garage and they're calling that "blueprinted". What I'd do is tell them to tell me exactly what aftermarket machining operations were performed on the action. True blueprinting is everything needed to bring the bolt face to perfect alignment with the centerline of the receiver plus everything needed to bring the bore centerline into perf alignment with the bolt centerline and the action centerline.

Agree with Ballistics Guy. Contact the seller and make them define what THEY mean by the term "blueprinted". There was a quite lengthy thread on this awhile back that got a bit heated because even members of this forum can't seem to agree on its definition. Talk to the seller and get an understanding of exactly what machining was done.

Agree with Ballistics Guy. Contact the seller and make them define what THEY mean by the term "blueprinted". There was a quite lengthy thread on this awhile back that got a bit heated because even members of this forum can't seem to agree on its definition. Talk to the seller and get an understanding of exactly what machining was done.

Agreed! If possible, ask who did the blueprinting.

Last edited:
Blueprinting is old school wording for truing as said above.
Truing has become the new vocab to indicate actual cutting took place.
Often times actions have been blueprinted by measuring runout and determining no significant issue exists. Should be cheap, but people have paid big money to have no cutting done.

Then there is truing by hand tools.....be very careful of this. Actions are tru'd to a datum scheme. There was some set of hand tools that would recut things, but really not true them up much.

Sounds like a great idea. How much does it really matter, though?
Erik Cortina uses it, and others... Depends upon what groups you want to see at long distances My rifles are not "blue printed", although I have two I would like to have done that with, one well used, the other never shot (yet), both 6xc that I like to shoot at the 1,000 yard range not far from home.

I was looking at a rifle for sale online. The seller said it was "blueprinted." What exactly does that mean?
When one word is used to describe hours of truing and squaring of an action it makes me think of the one word description sometimes usedof a motor that is advertised as "built." And when stated as "3/4 cam", my curiosity makes me wonder why a one word description of a camshaft is used when there are hundreds of different specifications and grinds available. One time I asked what is the lift and duration and the reply was, dont know that is just what the guy told me I got the car from. But I am sure someone woulde not exagerate and blindly label a precisely machined rifle action with just a single word like that. lol

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.