Blue Mountains of Washington

jrw1976

Well gentlemen I am looking for your very respected opinions. My son and I are planning on taking an elk hunting trip into the blues next year in the modern firearm season of course. So I am looking for any tips tricks or hints that might get us started on hunting elk in the blues. I only have time for 3 maybe 4 scouting trips during the summer so I am really hoping one of you wouldn't mind giving us a head start, please.

Thank you very much ahead of time, JRW

jrw,
Can't help much other than to say good luck. I lived in the Tri-Cities for a little while and went thought the Blues a few times while working. Beautiful place.
I have some friends out there in Richland and they go up around Pomeroy every year elk hunting. They always fill their tags.
Should make for some wonderful, lasting memories for you and your son. Again, good luck. JohnnyK.

Johnnyk I actually have buddies that go down to the blues every year also. But their idea of elk camp has more to do with drinking and eating and getting away from their wives than hunting. I actually went down with them one year for 2 days. It was fun hanging with the guys for a couple of days but I can only drink so much at one time. So they are no help. That is why I was hoping someone on here could possibly lend a helpful hand.

Thanks, JRW

Jasonkranz,

I have been in and explored around south of pomeroy up to the lookout and in past camp wootin. But during hunting season those areas are so packed with people I would like to be somewhere else. I am preliminarily thinking about back packing in 1-2 miles from godmen and camp then hunt from there. But I have never been in there, I am just going by what I read in field and stream and google earth for right now. That is why I am looking for some first hand knowledge from someone who knows. So what do you think.

Thanks, JRW

Your choice of godmen is great, you need to start higher and work down fingers and draws. The most important thing is stay away from those dawn pack trails. Keep eyes on the old burns. The elk up high don't come down to far until late. Most of the elk are around 4000 to 5500 ft. East of the mountian road holds good elk pop.

That was my plan exactly but which direction do the pack trails run from godmen. My plan was to pack in south from godmen and work the ridges keeping the elevated position glassing all the opposing hillsides. South looks like the best country to hunt atleast that is what it looks like using google earth.

JRW

You lucky dogs...My brother got his first tag in SD last season he said he has never walked,squat run ran down hill ever in his life..Bring a water pack you will need it. he lost a good 10lbs the first week.

I just moved to the Tri-cities and am planning to start hunting the Blues in the fall. I am interested in getting a couple people together that are in shape and plan to hunt the area for a few years. If interested drop me a note. I'm planning time over the summer to scout. gun)

That is my plan as well I am planning a trip hopefully the first part of june then around the 4th of july and the either the middle of august or september. But this all depends on the work schedule it is hard to plan anything more than a few days ahead of time. Oh and welcome to the site coltsrcul.

JRW

jrw,

The pack trails come from the panjab mostly and they do start at the godman area and go due south. Hunt southeast to french rigde area and past to GMU boundry. Be prepared, hard huntin dude. (spike only)

coltsrcul,

What part do you plan on going? My old man is 61 now if he doesn't want to go we can plan somethig. Mule deer is my passion and backpack hunting is the way I hunt. Mostly ( Blue Mountian)and Pasaytian high country.

Somewhere south east of Dayton up in the mountains... that's about as close as I can get to where I live. If I get the area down I'll deer. Again I don't know the area so I'm planning on doing a bunch of scouting beforehand. gun)

Jasonkranz,

I am looking at my maps and it looks like per your advice we should pack in from east of godman somewhere in the rainbow creek area or even a skoshe more east. The way it looks to me that would put us in between the trails from godman and the one on the gmu border. Then hunt between fr 4608 and butte creek and between rainbow creek and french ridge. So what do you think am I starting to get on the right track. Thank you very much for your help.

JRW

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.