Blast from the past

Not sure what thread to put this in but it involves deer hunting. Who remembers when there was no internet, no YouTube, if you wanted to see a hunting video or movie you had to wait for a professional hunter to come to a local high school auditorium. People like Dick Idol. Sometimes you were lucky to get in to see it. The good ole days are long gone.
the very best was Gordon Eastman , ... know one even comes close to what he did....

I do. And the days before ATV's! I also remember the trucks in the high school parking lot with rifle racks in the back with 870's hanging in them, cause guys were going hunting after school! Nobody batted an eye! Now, they call in the National Guard if a kid brings an aspirin to school and most of them don't know which bathroom to use!
We were duck huinting before class, 1970'S,

Still got my Hunter Safety Course certificate from '72 given by NRA. Awww, the good 'ol days. This class was given in school!!!
I got my California hunter safety certificate in class in school as well. 6th grade, would have been age 12 and 1974. Class was called Outdoor Safety, and hunter's ed was the whole first semester. 2nd semester was basically study hall.
I miss the old days!

Once I was 14, I got my Hunter Ed certificate and could buy a small game license. I lived near the edge of a small city surrounded by swamp and farmland. I wasn't part of a hunting family, so it was very unusual for my dad to pick up a shotgun and bird hunt; mostly it was just a woods walk. He did take me out so I could squirrel hunt after I first got my license, but didn't hunt himself. Without a driver's license I was limited in where I could go, so I would take a shotgun for a walk through the last couple blocks in town, then out into swampy farmland to look for rabbits. No one ever said anything to me as I carried that shotgun down the residential streets and into the brush. That was northern NY back in the 1960s when you could go on someone's land to hunt unless they had it posted. Can't imagine doing that now.

I remember the good old days too. Guns in trucks in the parking lot and not being afraid to go to school. I don't remember a school shooting though. Now days kids in city's are afraid to go to school because shootings have become common. I for one don't find fault with officials that are entrusted with other people's children trying to keep guns and potential idiots out.

My eight year old son at the time, walked up to the booth TK and Mike were greeting people and selling videos. They stopped talking to everyone else and focused on my son for15 minutes. Asking all kinds of questions about what he was hunting, what he was shooting, how many deer he'd killed. Ethan, my son was eating it up. They were his heroes. Good guys. Sad ending for Mike. All the people in there videos were fellow firefighters from Opelika Alabama.

There is still air of farming going on between Plfugerville and Hutto but the development has really kicked in. Was in the area and noticed a sign for a residential development stating, starting from the mid-400,000. It will soon be all houses in another 10 years
Some of the best farm country in nation. The Tx a&m & Dekalb signs were on every other fence post.

AND parked in the high school parking lot. I remember one day when we all got detention. High school was on the edge of town. There was a big blackbird roost close by. Several of us went in early and pass shot them in the parking lot. Completely safe, we were shooting straight up with small shot. We thought it would be good practice for ducks. The crime? We didn't pick them or the hulls up and put them in the trash. Granted, there were a lot of them. We were busted. Had to pick them all up after school and then sit in the library for a couple of hours... Worst punishment ever! It was during the opening week of duck season and the practice did no good. Instead of getting out @1:30 and going to shoot ducks, we all had to stay @ school until 4:30. Back then, adults knew how to make the punishment fit the crime.
Years ago on my first trip to Canada it was the same way. Now, it is the same as it as it here, without the self defense laws we have. We need to go back to those days. We don't need to more of what this world is becoming.
Yes sir different times
Every truck at school had a gun and most had a collection of Cajun toothpicks from the rear view mirror
High school principal and coaches went fishing and hunting with us (sometimes during school)

My dad worked for Ithaca Gun from '68 to '72. He negotiated the deal with SKB arms back then to manufacture barrels. We had two over under model 600 field guns and a Model 900, which was the main competition for the Remington 1100 back then. We had a lot of fun with those guns back in the day and my son shoots the 600's in his trap league from time to time to this day. I got my first Turkey last spring with the old 900. I guess the old Featherweights (bottom ejection) were popular among deer hunters in the 70's.

I do. And the days before ATV's! I also remember the trucks in the high school parking lot with rifle racks in the back with 870's hanging in them, cause guys were going hunting after school! Nobody batted an eye! Now, they call in the National Guard if a kid brings an aspirin to school and most of them don't know which bathroom to use!
Daggone WELL SAID! 🎯

It's all thanks to the feminization of all our institutions!