Blast from the past

Back in 1969 when I was ten, we would go to the local movie theater in downtown Greeley Colorado and watch hunting movies. I remembered watching Fred Bear shoot a Grizzly bear with his recurve. Other movies were safari in Africa where they hunted every species from warthog to elephants. I also saw movies about duck and goose hunting where the flocks were enormous. Went to junior college in sterling Colorado. During fall and winter semester went pheasant, dove , duck and goose hunting. Didn't have a way to store or cook them. Made friends with a girl working in the chow hall she put the birds in the freezer and a farmers wife working there would cook them. Best two years of my life. Everyone had a gun in there rear window truck rack. Boys and girls. Miss them days.
I lived in Kersey in the late 80's. I haven't been up that way in a while but things have changed a bit I'm sure. When I first moved there I was learning to fly. I flew with an instructor one night and the front range was a black empty spot. Not so much now.

I turned 7 years old in 1960,that fall I killed my first deer and a neighbor helped me gut the deer in exchange for 1/2 of it.
We gutted it with my pocket knife I found in a parking lot at an old country store.The blade was bent when I found it and told the coach at school,which was the shop teacher.He asked me to bring the pocket knife the next day and said he could fix it after class.He disassembled the 1 blade pocket knife and removed the blade,straightened it and heat treated the blade and set it in oil to cool and then reassembled the knife.Great knife after that.From then on I really appreciated that coach and knife.Those days are long gone.
Today if you bring any knife to school you would get expelled!
I sure miss the old days!

Carrying rifles and handguns, left them in our cars, unlocked. The fancy rich people had gun/rifle cases, some were made of wood. Showboats.
The police would sometimes pull me over as they did not recognize a rifle or two, and what was that coating?
Teflon, my friend. It was dad's business, one part of it did Coast Guard and Highway patrol weapons. The other did oil company valve seals.
Dad taught me early how to bond Teflon. I still have some or the first tools I owned, and the Teflon is still there.
We live in a small mountain town. Guns are not illegal. We know the forestry workers, and the police. We talk about where we think the deer are, and new guns we have gotten.
Hate to go to the city. I never know if I am breaking a law, or not.

Those old time values are not lost in some places. When I was in high school (50 kids in my graduating class) in 2012-2015 we all drove to school with our guns in the front seat during turkey and deer season. The game warden would actually drive through sporadically to make sure our doors were locked, we didn't have any game without field tags, and the guns didn't appear to be loaded or unsafe. Towards the end of 2015 they told us they needed to be out of view if anyone looked in the vehicle. Times changed fast even for us younger people.

A "blast from the past" regarding common courtesy and manners... My son is a law enforcement officer in a fairly large city in Central Wisconsin.
About 7-8 years ago Jim Shockey was in town to meet with his publicist, who lives there... While here, he conducted a (free) seminar at the local University (the largest Natural Resource University in the USA). My son was assigned to the security team. Jim instructed my son that his main duty was to protect Jim's daughter (Eva). At the beginning of the seminar, Jim stood at the front door and shook the hand of every male entering. He also shook the hand and took of his hat for every female....CLASS!! If you don't already know it, Jim's wife has recently passed from cancer. You can google it for more info. There might even be something here on a thread....I think that anyone lucky enough to meet Jim. never forgets him!!

Here's good one. A detective on the Philadelphia area police force made spur of the spur of the moment to grab his wife and take her to a show in Atlantic City, NJ. They arrived in AC and were not quite to their destination when their car was involved in a minor traffic accident. The local police showed up, and during their investigation decided to search both cars for drugs. When they found a revolver in the Philly cop's car, they "cuffed him and stuffed him". Jersey does not allow you to carry a gun in one's car. I lived in Jersey at the time and remember the incident well~!

I do. And the days before ATV's! I also remember the trucks in the high school parking lot with rifle racks in the back with 870's hanging in them, cause guys were going hunting after school! Nobody batted an eye! Now, they call in the National Guard if a kid brings an aspirin to school and most of them don't know which bathroom to use!
I was one in North Austin , Tx
Between Pflugerville& Austin was solid fields
Oh , best friend had a YZ80 just a few yrs before

As recently as 1984 my brother and I lived in NC for a short time. My brother was driving to town with his Florida tagged El Camino and was stopped by a county mountie. Whet cop got to his door my brother had his hands on the wheel and told the cop he had a gun in the car. The really cool officer asked him where it was and my brother said "under the seat". The officer said it had to be in plains sight and told him to retrieve it and put it on the dash or on the seat, "but don't shoot me~!". After the routine show of his driver's license, registration and insurance, the officer sent him on his way. Good cop, non-confrontational, and professional~!

I have a story that most of you won't believe. The year was 1980-1981 and I was headed to central Oregon. I pulled onto hwy 97 going north and didn't realize I was speeding. There was a state trooper headed south and as I looked in the mirror he was turning around. I immediately pulled over and waited for him. I had an early Ruger Redhawk on the passenger seat. I removed the coat that was covering it before he got there. He chewed on me for awhile before noticing the gun. He excitedly asked if it was one of the new Rugers.I handed it to him and told him that it was loaded. He unloaded it and handed it back. I asked him if he would like to shoot it and he replied one shot and we will call it a warning. He checked for traffic, walked around the front of the truck and touched one off! I doubt that would happen nowadays

I have a story that most of you won't believe. The year was 1980-1981 and I was headed to central Oregon. I pulled onto hwy 97 going north and didn't realize I was speeding. There was a state trooper headed south and as I looked in the mirror he was turning around. I immediately pulled over and waited for him. I had an early Ruger Redhawk on the passenger seat. I removed the coat that was covering it before he got there. He chewed on me for awhile before noticing the gun. He excitedly asked if it was one of the new Rugers.I handed it to him and told him that it was loaded. He unloaded it and handed it back. I asked him if he would like to shoot it and he replied one shot and we will call it a warning. He checked for traffic, walked around the front of the truck and touched one off! I doubt that would happen nowadays
That's precious. Almost as crazy as Elvis brining a .357 to the White House in 1972 for Tricky Dick (who did not like guns). I remember seeing the newspaper on the kitchen table when the later got impeached. I was 6.

no ear plugs????

This is the photo of the Colt .45

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231024_165833_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231024_165833_Chrome.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 19