Black Walnut .223

Thank you for all the compliments.

Absolutely gorgeous!

What does a stock like that weigh?

Steve

I didn't put it on the scale, but I would imagine 3-3.5 lbs.

Joel, Beautiful stock and finish. In the middle picture the stock looks like it has an offset. If it does it would be the first rifle I have seen with one. My Barretta competition shotgun has it.

This stock does not have any cast built into it. I have done very few stocks with cast.

Joel, Do you do any stock refinishing also? I have my dads 1949 FN that I used since he passed away in 1960 and have refinished once myself. It now wears a B and C and I owe it to him.

It's absolutely beautiful wood but am I seeing it wrong or is the comb of the stock chipped? If so it's a **** shame.

I just finished a two piece for my Marlin 36 in Ohio black walnut. The grade was similar but not as good as yours. Yours looks like a claro walnut or a hybrid to me? What is the source? For composite stock folks especially fiberglass folks walnut is surprisingly lightweight given its volume, especially standard walnut. Very impressive wprk, it's absolutely gorgeous!

Joel, Do you do any stock refinishing also? I have my dads 1949 FN that I used since he passed away in 1960 and have refinished once myself. It now wears a B and C and I owe it to him.

Yes, I do refinishing work.

Joel out of curiosity what does a black walnut stock like that go for? PM if you prefer, thanks

PM sent

It's absolutely beautiful wood but am I seeing it wrong or is the comb of the stock chipped? If so it's a **** shame.

It's not chipped. I had to mill the tip of the comb to allow the cheek piece to elevate when the bolt is in the most rearward position.

I just finished a two piece for my Marlin 36 in Ohio black walnut. The grade was similar but not as good as yours. Yours looks like a claro walnut or a hybrid to me? What is the source? For composite stock folks especially fiberglass folks walnut is surprisingly lightweight given its volume, especially standard walnut. Very impressive wprk, it's absolutely gorgeous!

This may have been a hybrid, but it's mainly Black.

That gun needs a glass display case. You are a true master of your trade Joel.

Agreed! I'd be afraid to damage that thing of beauty. I know Joel said before "it's only a piece of wood" but we all know its a whole lot more than that.

Thanks for the drool moment Joel! Keep up the awesome work and thanks for sharing.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts