Bipods ?

okie man

Thinking about putting a bipod on my new cz 550 Varmit . What are you guys running on heavy barrel Varmit rigs ? Looking for affordable, lightweight and solid rest!

I'm a clutz and can't shoot any kind of bipod except an F-class style. Bipod selection really depends on how you will be using it. I have 6-9 15-23 and the Harris sitting size. Bipod selection is very dependent on shooting style and situation.
Prone? Barrier? Bench? Sitting?

Mostly prone , I use bags off the bench and typically use shooting sticks or my tripod/ spotting scope when hunting. Looking for something for shooting ground hogs at long distance across fields.

Harris swivel model, 27" I think. This has worked good for pretty much every situation I've run into while GH hunting in NE PA.

Thinking about putting a bipod on my new cz 550 Varmit . What are you guys running on heavy barrel Varmit rigs ? Looking for affordable, lightweight and solid rest!

Harris extended 6"-9" is what I have used for many many years. Thinking about upgrading to an Atlas sometime, but I have better things to drop $300 on right at this moment.

My preferred shooting position for the really long shots is prone. I have had good success with the Harris 9-12" with swivel, preferring a little extra height for helping with clearance of grassy terrain. For non prone positions I carry a simple set of Stony Point telescoping 2-5' shooting sticks which I'll use for sitting and standing positions if needed.

Harris extended 6"-9" is what I have used for many many years. Thinking about upgrading to an Atlas sometime, but I have better things to drop $300 on right at this moment.

I did the same thing and went with the Atlas. I could not shoot consistently off this Bipod. Went to a Harris and all is good. The Atlas is a beautiful piece of machining and is high quality. I think maybe I don't have enough experience shooting off bipods and there is more movement with the Atlas. The legs move back and forth very easy and maybe I wasn't loading it consistently. All I know is after buying a Harris I have not used the Atlas anymore. Might not be as pretty as the Atlas but it works for me.

I did the same thing and went with the Atlas. I could not shoot consistently off this Bipod. Went to a Harris and all is good. The Atlas is a beautiful piece of machining and is high quality. I think maybe I don't have enough experience shooting off bipods and there is more movement with the Atlas. The legs move back and forth very easy and maybe I wasn't loading it consistently. All I know is after buying a Harris I have not used the Atlas anymore. Might not be as pretty as the Atlas but it works for me.

I had the same experience with the Atlas, this returning to my Harris. My thought is with my particular model Atlas which has "play" in the legs, the barrel moves vertically in an arc during recoil, particularly with forward loading. I can observe this in my scope by applying a forward and rearward movement in a rest position. I understand a version of the Atlas with rigid legs like the Harris is available. Even if the new version eliminates the issue, having used both, I prefer the Harris which is faster for me to get into shooting position when pressed for time. Being less then half the price is also nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.