bipod use

gremcat

I was wondering if I could use bipods on a stockade prairie dog stock and savage 12fv? I was thinking of the br 6-9 " ones I tried the tall ones on a hogue stocked model 70 in 7 rm and it shot a 4 " group at 100 yds couldn't hit anything it also happened on a factory stocked 17 hmr from savage.Am I correct in assuming these shot so poor because the stock was flexing to much?Also would I have this problem on a stockade?

your trouble could have been from the stock flexing to much and that won't be a problem with a Stockade stock. Their are a few tricks when using a bipod , some guns like to have some forward pressure onthe bi-pod this is called "loading" the bi-pod , some like to have a little bit of back pressure and some like to be left alone , I think this has more to do with the shooters recation to the shot than the rifle , if their is pressure on the bi-pod alot of times the gun will "hop" due to the recoil and if the pressure is not the same on each and every shot then the POI can't remain the same

Hi,

First of all, your barell is free floated or is touching the stock?
Using a bipod with free floated barell, without enough clearance between the barell and the stock can get you in the troubles.
Do the next test:
Stay in the shooting position, load the bipod, and ask your friend to slide slowly a piece of paper between your barell and the stock from the toip of the stock to the receiver.
Is the paper is stuck, or sliding very hard, it means you do not have enough clearance.
Remove the barell, and using a sandpaper, remove extra layer from the stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.