Bipod Decision

dan25

I am heading out near Boulder, CO on a Mule deer hunt this October and am thinking about getting a bipod for my 300 win mag. I know the Atlas is the best, but I am on a tight budget and was looking at the Harris pivoting. If the Harris won't cut if for long stuff because of having too much movement; I will probably save my dollars and get an Atlas in the future. Any feedback would be appreciated or if anyone has a good prone bipod that they would like to sell, let me know. Thanks guys.
[email protected]

Check out the Tip Top ez pivot and pan on amazon. myself and other members here like it better than the Harris and it is half the cost. I have one on my .300 win and 22.250. I've used it out to 900 yards without any issues.

I harvested a MT bull elk at 931 yards with my .300 WM in 2013 with a Harris bipod.

There are others here with far better success than I do that prefer the Harris over Atlas, IIRC Jeff (BROZ) is one of them.

I own both Atlas and Harris bipods. I have no problem with the Harris and(at the risk of committing heresy)find it preferable to my Atlas. I have taken a few dozen game animals from 500-1200 yards' with a Harris that has seen seven seasons. I like the 9-12", notched leg with the pivot/cant lever. It is sturdy, reliable, doesn't rattle, and faster to get into action then the Atlas. At less then half the price, the Harris is a solid value. IMO.

I don't think there is a better field bipod than Harris. The Atlas is definitely not better.
The 'TipTop' is no more than a Harris counterfeit (like the caldwells), so why not scratch these & buy from the original innovator?

I second the idea of replacing the feet on a Harris 9 to 13" bipod.

I use these replacement feet. It is amazing the difference in stability, pre-load and the non-slip.

Hawk Hill Custom - Hawk Hill Custom

Good luck with your choice on which bipod you prefer and your upcoming hunts.

I agree with the choice of buying Harris bipods.

I am with the Harris crowd as well and 9-13 is it for prone IMO. They are a bit pricy get the swivel type and buy the pod loc. I doubt you'll be upset with the purchase. That Atlas must be nice but they're twice the cost of the harris.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I don't think there is a better field bipod than Harris. The Atlas is definitely not better.
The 'TipTop' is no more than a Harris counterfeit (like the caldwells), so why not scratch these & buy from the original innovator?

The tip top has panning built in and also you don't have to spend extra money to fix the pivot after you buy it. It comes with the lock lever already.

I sold my Harris and got a people mainly for the weight. Wish I had seen the tiptop first.

Thanks mtwarych for posting the link for Hawk Hill Custom's aftermarket feet for bipods. This site is such a wonderful source of information. After reviewing the video I was sold. I immediately ordered a set for my Harris 25S bipod!

To the OP. I only own S type Harris bi-pods. Should you decide to get one for hunting IMO the 25S is the most useful. Shorter ones will often leave you wanting. I will admit that a 9-12 may work most of the time BUT when you encounter uphill/downhill shots often encountered in my part of the country there is not enough height to make a prone shot. (coues wt in S. Az)

I have evolved from bags to using the bi-pod buddy with this bipod. I use the Big Buddy:

Big Buddy

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.