binoculars-spotting scopes

sendero300

I am having a little trouble picking a pair of binocualrs out for long range deer hunting. I bought a pair of 30x80 barska and they are bad. Im trying to send them back. What kind of binoculars should I get? I like using binocualrs to find deer, but should I get a spotting scope also? Please let me know thanks.

I´d go for the best binos you can get depending on your budget.

8 x 30 works great and are not too heavy; 10 x also but will usually weigh more and field of view will be less.

The spotting scope makes sense if you need to evaluate an animal at long distances, but for searching you´d better stick with a scope ( unless you are searching animals at very very long distance).

As was mentioned, spotting scopes are used to examine an animal once it has been 'spotted'. Rarely a good tool for glassing-eye strain, fatigue and awesome headaches.

For that, you need a good set of binoculars. This reduces eyestrain and provides a large field of view necessary to spot game in the bush.

I have a soft spot for Nikon bino/optics. Awesome glass for reasonable money. If you do a lot of moving and glassing, I can strongly recommend the Monarch ATB line. I use the 8X32 which is durable, waterproof and light. Low light is superb as is the resolution out to 1km+.

Of course, the mag limits the ability to make out all the detail but you will be able to see and identify objects very well. The main goal for this is glassing inside 1km since I am on foot. Street price for these has really come down and should be in the $200 to 250 range now.

I picked up a pair of Action Extreme EX 12X50 binos last year (make sure of the model as there are two other similar ones that are crap). A larger porro frame, it is still quite light but amazing optics. I use this while we LR shoot and have no problem resolving the wild grasses that grow on the hillside 1KM away.

The resolution and depth of field is really very good. At a couple of 1000m shoots, these binos have been put side by side some pretty expensive Euro and Japanese glass. It most certainly can hold its own.

The part that floored me is the price. You should be able to find these for around $150 to 175US.

Once I have found something of interest, I will use my Nikon XL spotting scope to get the details. Again, very nice glass, reasonably priced, compact and light. Enough resolution to see 30cal bullet holes at 700yds in the right light.

The perfect set up would be an ATB sized/weight variable bino from 8 to 16X with a quality rangefinder for around $500. No longer beyond the realm of possibilities.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.