Biggest bull to date

jamesmc2

After warm temps and a tough hunt I was able to take this great bull right before the end of the season. Happened upon him in the trees and took him with one shot using .308 Win and 178gr Amax at 50yrds.

Attachments

• 2014 Elk.jpg
    2014 Elk.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 84
Nice elk. do you always hunt elk with a 308.

unclefish, yes I always hunt elk with a .308. For now it is the only rifle I own. Ultimately I would like to build a 7mm Rem Mag for my long range rig and a 7mm-08 for a lightweight backcountry carry rifle.

So far the .308 has worked well and this is the second bull elk I have taken with it.

unclefish, yes I always hunt elk with a .308. For now it is the only rifle I own. Ultimately I would like to build a 7mm Rem Mag for my long range rig and a 7mm-08 for a lightweight backcountry carry rifle.

So far the .308 has worked well and this is the second bull elk I have taken with it.

Thanks for replying. I have a 300 win mag. That I usually elk hunt with. I am just more comfortable with my 308 .plus my shoulder enjoys the 308 when I practice.

Beautiful bull... Congrats and it's nice to see someone else that relies on the trusty ole 308 for elk. I only have a 300wm as backup... But my 308 is my go to gun for most everything with 4 legs. Well done and thanks for sharing!

Great work that is an awesome bull mate, you have to be super happy with that.

How did the bullet perform at that range?

Regards,

Mog

How did the Amax work at 50 yrds? When I called manufacture they suggested SST for hunting.

Tks for your feedback.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.