Big Gamer Hunting Scope Suggestions

stevesdl

Hi All,
Okay first, let me get down on my knees and accept the 30+ lashes for trying to cheap out on a big game hunting scope. I was told "definitely" that the Pentax Gameseeker 3x9 50mm was a great scope equal to many more expensive ones for $99.00. yup yeah I know... i bought it.

Went out to the range this afternoon and from the very first sighting and for the rest of the day I was bitching that I could not get a decent sight even at 9X. My son brought his 300 win mag with a Nikon 3x9 40mm and the field of view was very nice with lots of light. I brought my 22 LR with a Tasco 3x9 50mm and it too was very nice with lots of light.

The Pentax Gameseeker 3x9 50mm sucks big time and son immediately verified that conclusion as well after just one look through the scope for a 100 yd target. We ended up using his scope on his rifle for our site scope. Last word on this scope - do not buy it for anything but watching front row tennis matches.

Okay, honestly folks I just got laid off so I am limited in some monies. Can I get a few suggestions from all of you regarding a good 3x9 or 4x15 in 50mm optics that is less than $250.00?

thanks ahead of time
Stevesdl

You should try and hit a store that you can look through several but a few come to mind.

You like your sons Nikon, try a buckmaster or prostaff and I like the Sightron 2. The Sightron is right at your max though...

If you can live with a fixed power scope, the Bushnell 3200 10x is a great scope. My 308 initially wore one. I recently came into an 'extra' (if there is such a thing) rifle. I needed an inexpensive scope for it and my first thought was the Bushnell 10x. I bought one on ebay for $150.

Talkin' the talk is one thing, here's proof I walk the walk....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

Part of the basis for my decision to go with this scope was based on this article:

Low Priced Long Range Scopes

Like I said, I bought mine on ebay for $150 (MSRP on the scope is $219). Here's the listing...

eBay Seller: nickymsb: Sporting Goods items on eBay.com

For details on the scope, check out the Bushnell website:

Bushnell - Elite 3200 10 x 24mm, Matte [321040M]

I think Nikon is the king of the variable power lower budget scopes. Bang for the buck they are hard to beat but if you need turrets and don't mind fixed power I agree that the b3200 should be a consideration.

+1 for a buckmaster, had a 4.5-14X something. Really was a good scope, clear and well built. had the bdc reitcle, cross hairs were a bit thick but the bdc actually worked surprisingly well!

I have a prostaff 3-9x40 on my browning 300 WSM. It has been on it for 3 years now. It handles the recoil with no issues, but does not have turrets. It can be purchased for $150 or less and has a great warranty.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.