Big game piwder

Cnkhunting

Anyone use this big game powder? How sensitive is it to temps? It's supposed to be good in the 7-08. I have tried other powders and cannot get anything to shoot good.

What have you tried? I've loaded for 3 different 7-08 and had a easy time finding a load but maybe I have been lucky.
I use W760 and IMR 4350 for 120-140 grain bullets but aren't the best for temperature stability although very accurate.

It's available & sort of like H380 - touted as good in .30-06. I have used it in .22-.250 with light bullets. Should work out in 7-08 with 120-140's but there are better powders. Any of the 4350's, Staball, R-S Hunter, Win760/H414, would be a better choice - all these are slower burning.

Varget with 120's or if you want speed try CFE223 with 120 gr
My last 7-08 I shot 150 eldx at 2890 fps with RL17.
My first 7-08 I used big game powder and found it to be very temp Unstable and have never touched it since.

Isn't rl17 just as unstable? From what I have seen it's a lot more unstable then big game
I've used probably 20 lbs of RL17 and have not had any issues with it for stability but I don't shoot when it's hot as hell out.
Big game in my experience was one the worst that I have used.

I shoot a lot of RL17. Perhaps if it's over 100 degrees it might spike but I chrono my loads and don't see large swings. I just wish it was a bit more compact.

I use Big Game in a 7-08 with a 25" barrel over 140gr NBT/NABs. Velocity is 2920fps with Nosler brass and CCI 200s, I haven't noticed much swings in temperatures but also haven't shot that load below freezing or above 80 degrees. If I have an issue with Big Game it's that it rolls out of the Chargemaster lite too easily, I set it for a few grains under and hand trickle the remainder, other than that it has proven very accurate with good velocity.

I use Big Game in a 7-08 with a 25" barrel over 140gr NBT/NABs. Velocity is 2920fps with Nosler brass and CCI 200s, I haven't noticed much swings in temperatures but also haven't shot that load below freezing or above 80 degrees. If I have an issue with Big Game it's that it rolls out of the Chargemaster lite too easily, I set it for a few grains under and hand trickle the remainder, other than that it has proven very accurate with good velocity.
You should try shimming up the front of your chargemaster with a few sheets of paper.This helps from getting overcharges.If the unit is level,that tiny ball powders has a tendency to keep running out when the unit has stopped.

I've used big game. I thought it might work in the 6ARC based on where it fell on the burn chart. I got to the same velocity node that worked the best with varget and vv540. However with big game it is a very full case bc the powder is too slow for the cartridge. But I have a few more pounds and then I'll switch to something better. I've shot it since spring and the chrono has come up with averages within 10 fps each time I've chrono'ed

Recent Posts