Big deer!!!!

2Buffalo, I see your point and congrats to your friend on being fortunate enough to harvest a Whitetail of that caliber. There are some outrageous whitetail racks occuring rarely in the wild. The Jordan buck Wissconsin or the Hansen Saskatchewan the hole in the horn Ohio.

They're all not in the same field getting sold to the rich.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

I completely agree that genetics plays a part, but also have seen what nutrition and pampering can do to a deers antler growth. A good friend of mine (RIP) was bush hogging one of fields many years ago when he spotted a fawn hiding in the tall grass. He got off the tractor and went over to check it out. Long story short...He carried the fawn back to his barn and spent next several weeks bottle feeding and caring for it. He tried to release it, but it stayed around the barn. He realized he was in predicament as time passed. Game laws do not allow you to keep wild animals. He didn't care and created a large pen in one of his barns and fed the deer high quality horse food. He kept this on the down low for several years. The deer grew antlers that were unbelievably massive. In the end someone boarding horses at his ranch turned him in. The TWRA came and picked up the deer. He paid huge fines. The deer had antlers similar to what I saw in the video.

2Buffalo, I see your point and congrats to your friend on being fortunate enough to harvest a Whitetail of that caliber. There are some outrageous whitetail racks occuring rarely in the wild. The Jordan buck Wissconsin or the Hansen Saskatchewan the hole in the horn Ohio.

They're all not in the same field getting sold to the rich.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
Agreed. Not my gif but to each their own.

From what the folks at NDA and a lot of University researcher are saying, those farms have contributed greatly to the spread of CWD. Because of the close contact in the farms the disease is spread rapidly and when some of the deer inevitably escape, it gets spread in the wild. We don't have CWD yet in NH and I'd like to keep it that way.

I know a local guy who has a few of these high fenced farms. It's a lot of investment to raise deer. I was asked to help try and harvest some native does that was on one of his properties before he brought in deer for that farm….300+ acres . He said the native deer if left will infect the farm deer and kill 'em faster than anything because farm deer don't have very good immunity to natural ailments being they come from a lineage of pen raised stock. I have seen on one of his new pens where he separated 2 twin buck fawns and let one grow and live unattended and no supplements and the other he wormed and supplemented. At age 2 the wormed and supplemented buck was a 170 class and the other about 50-75" deer. I don't understand the urge to hunt them but some enjoy it and guess that's fine if that's what they like. I have learned some from his operation on deer growth and nutrition but it's awful expensive to supplement enough to grow deer in the wild when you don't have agriculture that also aids in nurturing deer.

For me, I too find very little joy or pride in shooting deer that have been "pen raised"...several years back I can across an opportunity to hunt a non-typical deer like what you see. This deer was short tined and not as desirable as some over the other deer that had been turned out in this high fence-500 acres. The guy running the deal was having a hard time finding someone to take this buck so towards the end of the season he offered him up 1/2 price-lodging and meals included. This was a itch I had been wanting to scratch, but waffled back and forth for years doing a high fence hunt. on one hand a buck on 500 acres had plenty of places to hide, but on the other hand it just didn't seem right shooting a "domesticated" deer. I tried to rationalize that even if they were pen raised, if they had enough room to roam that their natural survival instinct would kick in and it would be more of a hunt than a "shoot". So I ponied up the $$ on this 1/2 price non-typical buck and got after it.

First evening about an hour before darK bucks start rolling in-one buck buck after another, then another...it was exciting to see for sure-looking back now it was odd not a single doe was out there. couple of exotics rolled up as well, and with about 30 min light left my buck came in, but never gave me a clear shot. Guide was a bit perturbed as that meant we had to stay the night. I think he was planning on being home that evening.

Any way next morning we go to the same stand and same scene plays out, buck start piling in one after another- my buck shows up and starts to bee-line for the feeder and the guide was like "catch him while he is in the clear" so we get on him, he stops 40 yards from the feeder and I put him down. the deer at the feeder spooked a bit, but calmed quickly and went back to feed. Several deer paid us no mind when we walked up to my buck to make sure it was done. Guide was happy, but I was conflicted really-it was fun to see all those big deer, and I had put down a 160+ class non-typical deer, but you could tell this wasn't "natural". Even had second thoughts about eating this one, wondering what they do to make them grow so big ;)

The antlers sit in a pile in my garage-didn't feel right mounting this deer-not a "trophy" in my mind-I have more pride in the first deer I shot with my archery equipment (mule deer spike) than I do in this 160+ whitetail I shot. I then decided high fence hunting is not for me. I don't judge anyone else who does it-if that is what gets you going I am happy for you! Heck I'd even tag along just to see them big deer and eat the fancy meals they sometimes provide, but to me is more fun to shoot low fence/free range animals.

Last edited:
For me, I too find very little joy or pride in shooting deer that have been "pen raised"...several years back I can across an opportunity to hunt a non-typical deer like what you see. This deer was short tined and not as desirable as some over the other deer that had been turned out in this high fence-500 acres. The guy running the deal was having a hard time finding someone to take this buck so towards the end of the season he offered him up 1/2 price-lodging and meals included. This was a itch I had been wanting to scratch, but waffled back and forth for years doing a high fence hunt. on one hand a buck on 500 acres had plenty of places to hide, but on the other hand it just didn't seem right shooting a "domesticated" deer. I tried to rationalize that even if they were pen raised, if they had enough room to roam that their natural survival instinct would kick in and it would be more of a hunt than a "shoot". So I ponied up the $$ on this 1/2 price non-typical buck and got after it.

First evening about an hour before darK bucks start rolling in-one buck buck after another, then another...it was exciting to see for sure-looking back now it was odd not a single doe was out there. couple of exotics rolled up as well, and with about 30 min light left my buck came in, but never gave be a clear shot. Guide was a bit perturbed and that meant we had to stay the night. I think he was planning on being home that evening.

Any way next morning we go to the same stand and same scene plays out, buck start piling in one after another- my buck shows up and starts to bee-line for the feeder and the guide was like "catch him while he is in the clear" so we get on him, he stops 40 yards from the feeder and I put him down. the deer at the feeder spooked a bit, but calmed quickly and went back to feed. Several deer paid us no mind when we walked up to my buck to make sure it was done. Guide was happy, but I was conflicted really-it was fun to see all those big deer, and I had put down a 160+ class non-typical deer, but you could tell this wasn't "natural". Even had second thoughts about eating this one, wondering what they do to make them grow so big ;)

The antlers sit in a pile in my garage-didn't feel right mounting this deer-not a "trophy" in my mind-I have more pride in the first deer I shot with my archery equipment (mule deer spike) than I do in this 160+ whitetail I shot. I then decided high fence hunting is my for me. I don't judge anyone else who does it-if that is what gets you going I am happy for you! Heck I'd even tag along just to see them big deer and eat the fancy meals they sometimes provide, but to me is more fun to shoot low fence/free range animals.
I'd rather get out in the woods here in some of the lowest deer density areas in the US and strike out than go through that experience you described. Like you said, just doesn't feel right at all. I have hunted public land the past 2 years here in New Hampshire and struck out 2 years in a row. This year I just plan on putting more preparation into my hard and going a bit harder than the last 2 seasons. There is a story behind every set of antlers, to me that story is more important than points and spread. Loved your insight.

jbronner13...funny addendum to my story that relates to what you said-I started to follow my guide on social media after our "hunt" and he spends his hunting days mid week on public lands in east TX...shoots mostly does with archery equipment for the challenge. Another "light bulb" moment for me ;)

jbronner13...funny addendum to my story that relates to what you said-I started to follow my guide on social media after our "hunt" and he spends his hunting days mid week on public lands in east TX...shoots mostly does with archery equipment for the challenge. Another "light bulb" moment for me ;)
I used to live down in Las Cruces, NM outside of El Paso. I would like to get back down there out on a large chunk of public and hunt coues deer, that's a dream hunt for me!

My first exposure to those "Big Deer" was several years ago. Knowing I was an avid hunter, one of my finance mangers invited me to is home to see a deer he had shot. Accepting the invite, the mount on his wall had so many points, major palmation, and areas of heavy mass that it had no resemblance to any whitetail I had ever seen. Quite frankly, it looked like a genetically/chemically modified mess. The neck/head, and accompanying photos indicated the buck had the body size/structure of a three year old deer. Explaining the hunt, he said it was sponsored by one of the big financial consulting firms that invited selected existing and potential clients to a day hunt at an esteemed ranch. My associate who had never hunted or fired a centerfire rifle, was brought to fully appointed box, complete with food, drinks, two Wall Street ticker tape TV's, and a full bench-rest set-up overlooking a 150 yard, high fence grain field. One shot-one kill! He was pleased as punch with his wonderful trophy!
When I explained the process/details, and offered him to accompany myself and my buddies on a Canadian whitetail hunt I was met with a resounding, "Are you serious, NO WAY, NO HOW".

Probably never have a true trophy rack. I keep almost all of them just for the memories they bring. Worth more then any Boon and Crocket score to me.