Big Cat

Wow...if the guy is 5'9"(average for Whiteman)and the paw is big as his face.....i will venture 215#.....but it is really fat...maybe 225#...
Helped mount one taken in Nevada years ago.....it was scarred up nasty...broken claws..broken teeth......old healthy cat....it was 210#...
Awesome full body mount.....

I've read that a mountain lion eats an average of 1 deer per week. Think about that, 52 deer per year, per cat. That may be what's happening to the mule deer population in Colorado. The mountain lion population in Colorado is estimated at 3,000 to 7,000 lions. That's between 156,00 and 364,000 deer per year.
Colorado's mule deer population is estimated at 408,000. Now they're voting on whether to bring Grey Wolves to Colorado. What do you think this will do to big game hunting
Join the two wolf posts

First off, I'm no coward!
But,
I do not swim where something might assume I'm bait.
Nor, do I really feel comfortable hunting where something might want to make a meal of me.
Sure, we now seem to have killer hogs in Texas, but they generally are not lurking around behind you to take a chunk out of your neck. They aren't very stealthy either.

But that big sucker would definitely make me think twice about walking around In The woods after dark. LOL!

Awesome predator kill!
Great job!

We have alot of cats.My hunting bud has been stalked 3 times,he arrowed one at 9 yrds with his recurve.That same trip I was out of town my son got stalked behind house by one ,he was 12 and shot it with a pellet gun.The next weekend we called in big tom elk archery,all three of us there on that one.I know three guys shoot them in self defense.Saw 2 cat tracks yesterday,wolf hunting,one big guy.

We have alot of cats.My hunting bud has been stalked 3 times,he arrowed one at 9 yrds with his recurve.That same trip I was out of town my son got stalked behind house by one ,he was 12 and shot it with a pellet gun.The next weekend we called in big tom elk archery,all three of us there on that one.I know three guys shoot them in self defense.Saw 2 cat tracks yesterday,wolf hunting,one big guy.

Reading that alone, gives me the quivers.
As much as I'd like to shoot one, I'm not sure I wouldn't rather me go to them, than vice versa.
My shooters would fall outta their red neck hunting chairs if I called one of those in.

Did you open the stomach to check for joggers?

A recent hunt with an outfitter left me on my own due to my guide getting seriously injured in horse wreck so I hunted alone for couple days which I enjoyed. I rode to spot with another guide and his client but I chose to go alone. They got another guide in for me ASAP but it was cool to hunt on your own sometimes. Woods worthy so not worried about navigation. BUT HOLY COW! I came across a fresh cat cow elk kill and that really sends a shiver up and down your spine. I was looking downwind as much as upwind when I used cow call..:eek:

Last edited:
Monsters are real!

My last elk trip two seasons back I hiked/crawled my way into an area that not many folks venture too. I seen large fresh cat tracks on the way in and eventually walked upon a depression in a valley floor that had two bull elk carcasses and two mule deer. The hillside overlooking it was really thick in vegetation and I knew I was being watched. Made sure I was out of there well before dark and didn't go back alone. This got me rethinking the way I carry my pistol (and my gear around it) so that it isn't just there but more accessible.

Back in the 90's my dad bought a cat hunt in CO from an auction. My mom was not to happy and he jokingly said he bought it for her. She is not into hunting at all, but she took him up on it. She took her dads old service rifle. She ended up with a cat that was huge. Same as either this cat or maybe a bit smaller. She has great luck.
They used a female lion foam for the full body mount. I didn't realize till I got old and saw other mounts just how massive her cat was. I wish I could remember what it measured.
These cats are very rare but amazing.

Back in the 90's my dad bought a cat hunt in CO from an auction. My mom was not to happy and he jokingly said he bought it for her. She is not into hunting at all, but she took him up on it. She took her dads old service rifle. She ended up with a cat that was huge. Same as either this cat or maybe a bit smaller. She has great luck.
They used a female lion foam for the full body mount. I didn't realize till I got old and saw other mounts just how massive her cat was. I wish I could remember what it measured.
These cats are very rare but amazing.
The Mountain Lions aren't that rare any more. Seven thousand in Colorado alone, and I bet California isn't far behind. We even have them starting to migrate into Tennessee now.
https://www.tn.gov/twra/wildlife/mammals/large/cougars.html

Wow! That's a huge cat! All we have here are bobcats but

BD060A4E-0508-4336-99ED-8A1C64B35C88.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.