Big Bore AR Uppers (.408, .416, .50, etc)

7mmShooter

Hey guys, anyone here have any experience with any Big Bore ar uppers like the Zel Custom Tactilite T1 or T2, or the Spider Arms Ferret50? I feel like one of these in Kirby's 50 Allen Tactical would be a good way to get into a .50 caliber (possibly in a lighter platform) that's a bit more efficient and maybe more economical than the BMG.

Any thoughts on this, honestly I'm just throwing the idea around in my head for whenever the time comes to get one. The 50 AT will dang near match the 50BMG with about 90-100 grains less powder, and can be done in a platform that's around 1/2 the weight of most .50BMG rifles. Ideally, I'd love a Lefty Desert Tech HTI to run 375AM and probably even the 510 AM or Maximus, but that's not even remotely close to being an option yet!:Dgun) Thank you guys!

Hey guys, anyone here have any experience with any Big Bore ar uppers like the Zel Custom Tactilite T1 or T2, or the Spider Arms Ferret50? I feel like one of these in Kirby's 50 Allen Tactical would be a good way to get into a .50 caliber (possibly in a lighter platform) that's a bit more efficient and maybe more economical than the BMG.

Any thoughts on this, honestly I'm just throwing the idea around in my head for whenever the time comes to get one. The 50 AT will dang near match the 50BMG with about 90-100 grains less powder, and can be done in a platform that's around 1/2 the weight of most .50BMG rifles. Ideally, I'd love a Lefty Desert Tech HTI to run 375AM and probably even the 510 AM or Maximus, but that's not even remotely close to being an option yet!:Dgun) Thank you guys!
Slight correction, the 50AT uses between 80-90gr less powder than the BMG. 750 AMAX are still running around 2500fps, which from what I hear most 50bmg competition shooters are running them between 25-2600fps anyway

Thanks guys

I looked at those quite a bit a while back, and did quite a bit of research. I think they would be great in one of the Chey-tac or Chey-tac based cartidges. I would be hesitant to get a .50 BMG one. I've shot a desert tech in .375, .408, .416, and .50, and I can tell you that for me personally, that is the lightest weight fifty I care to shoot. At least with out a better brake on it. The other 3 were a dream to shoot, but the chey-tacs are where its at. For what you're talking about doing, I think they would work, but you would have to see if Mr. Allen would work on one. If not you'd have to come up with some other wildcat to run.

A desert tech hti in 50AT would be awesome!!! if you could get a the reamer for it I'm sure there is someone out there that could help you with your project. I doubt Kirby would be up for a project like that at the moment being swamped as is.

A desert tech hti in 50AT would be awesome!!! if you could get a the reamer for it I'm sure there is someone out there that could help you with your project. I doubt Kirby would be up for a project like that at the moment being swamped as is.

Based in my experience with Kirby Allen, he is not parting with his reamers.

Thanks for the insight guys! I actually have talked to Kirby about it and he hasnt done any work (50BMG wise) on anything other than the RPA,McBros, and AR50 receivers. The only unfortunate thing is that the Lefty AR50s are so dang hard to find. But **** a 510 Maximus LH would be amazing!!:Dgun) haven't really heard many bad things about the Tactilite uppers, and the Ferrett50 actually holds the FCSA Open class Group Record.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.