Cheytac 375/ .408 or barret 416

Hey Earnie, it is me Bo, or longrangebo HaHa the load in the 338-378 is 112.5 gr of 50 bmg for the 300 match king. And for the 252 CE it is 115 gr 50 bmg

I can't argue with anything in the above posts. What I can add is my thoughts on the 416 Barret (not based on owning one). I can see no practical reason to own one for hunting. You are going to need an action made for a 50 BMG case head (BIG!!) and the balistic gain, from what I have read, is not that much over a Cheytac. My guess is that you will be near 25 pounds.

Again, all based on NOT owning one!!! Take it for what it is worth, and please correct me if I am wrong.

Tod

I still have a custom single shot 416 Barrett I got built years ago, big heavy & cool :)

I have several 375 Cheytac imp now, they are way ahead of the 416

Nothing comes close balistically with the big CEB 425-450 in a 15-25lb rig.

Yes they are more expensive than a 338 but their performance is miles ahead.

Its like comparing a big .284 to a .338, at LR distances there isn't much difference, step out to ELR, then it's night & day, in both performance & barrel life.

My advice is to get a 375 AM or Snipetac with a minimum 32" barrel & go for it.

The Bartlein gain twists are my preferred barrel, they are doing another run of .375s very soon :cool:

Kiwi Greg,
I'm intrigued by your experience with the heavy 375 C-T's being
"way ahead" of the 416B. Could you possibly fill in some detail
on the 416B, or maybe a 375/416 comparison ?
Thank you,
JB Rossit

Last edited:
Kiwi Greg,
I'm intrigued by your experience with the heavy 375 C-T's being
"way ahead" of the 416B. Could you possibly fill in some detail
on the 416B, or maybe a 375/416 comparison ?
Thank you,
JB Rossit

Sure.

I'm referring to the 375 CT imp, the Standard .375 Cheytac would much closer.

The CEB .375s are as heavy or heavier than the .416 so the BC is higher.

With my 416 I managed to get the 416-425 grain monos up around 3150.

These have a BC around .85-.9

I couldn't get that speed with the jacketed ones & their BC was less.

The .375 425 CEB has a BC of 1.00-1.05 we can push it 3100-3150 with a 32-33" barrel.

I couldn't get the sub minute accuracy at LR or small ES that I can get with the .375s.

Combine that with the sub 25lb weight & performance past 2500-3000 yards, the 375 is miles ahead.

Looking forward to some longer barrels to hopefully bring the velocity up.

My advice is to get a 375 AM or Snipetac with a minimum 32" barrel & go for it.

Kiwi Greg,

You seem to have put in a lot of time with this caliber and its offerings. I read in one of your other posts that the DCM would be hard to get reamers, dies, etc. for. Here you suggest the .375 AM or Snipetac. I was wondering if you've had any experience with the .375 VM2 and where it stands in line compared to these two?

Regards,

FurTaker

Kiwi Greg,

You seem to have put in a lot of time with this caliber and its offerings. I read in one of your other posts that the DCM would be hard to get reamers, dies, etc. for. Here you suggest the .375 AM or Snipetac. I was wondering if you've had any experience with the .375 VM2 and where it stands in line compared to these two?

Regards,

FurTaker

I tried a 375 VM2 imp, it didn't work with the Barnard P-Chey action.

Maybe it is two small to cope with the VM size ?

It copes just fine with the CT case...

It would possibly work OK in a BMG size action.

A friend has his own case about the same size as the VM2 but with more taper, its in a big BMG size custom Bat? action.

It looks so far like it is a little quicker than the 375 DCM, but it weighs nearly twice as much & has a longer barrel ?

It will be interesting to see how it stacks up when he is on top of it.

I tried a 375 VM2 imp, it didn't work with the Barnard P-Chey action.

Maybe it is two small to cope with the VM size ?

It copes just fine with the CT case...

It would possibly work OK in a BMG size action.

A friend has his own case about the same size as the VM2 but with more taper, its in a big BMG size custom Bat? action.

It looks so far like it is a little quicker than the 375 DCM, but it weighs nearly twice as much & has a longer barrel ?

It will be interesting to see how it stacks up when he is on top of it.

Thanks for clearing that up, how do you think the Snipetac would stack up against the DCM? What could you expect to push the CEB 425 to out of a 32" barrel?

Thanks for clearing that up, how do you think the Snipetac would stack up against the DCM? What could you expect to push the CEB 425 to out of a 32" barrel?

I don't know the water capacity of the Snipetac, but would guess it is similar to the DCM @ 173-174 grains of water full to the top Bertram brass.

The 425 out of Bartlein 32-33" with RL50 should be around 3100fps give or take with Bertram brass.

The brass varies a little in hardness I've found.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.