Better bullet choice for Black bear in 7 mm

Truc

I wanted to get some real life experience on some 7 mm bullets for the black bear. Here is what I have available, shots will be under 300 yds

Sierra
160 BTSP, 175 BTSP

Berger VLD
168 hunting,180 hunting, 180 target

Matrix
190 VLD
I will be shooting a 7 SAUM
Thanks

Skyking, I had seen this before and am impressed, what I did not see was this the target or hunting VLD? The reason I ask is someone wrote they liked the target better for hunting

Skyking, I had seen this before and am impressed, what I did not see was this the target or hunting VLD? The reason I ask is someone wrote they liked the target better for hunting

All of those where the Hunting ones, except maybe one because hunting version was not available.

This is the way I have been doing it as of late. No matter what version you have make sure the hollow point is clear. I have a really small hobby drill bit that is just the right size as the point of the bullet. I make sure that the hollow point is opened up until the lead core. Some of the bullets have little bits of copper closing the hole up. I just spin the drill bit with my fingers. Some of the guys that where having bullets not expand may had a closed up hollow point. Then I guess it depends on what you goals are. Long range or close.

Anything inside of 500 yards I am using the target vld rounds, 500 yards + I am going to use the hunting version vld, just to make sure that I still get good expansion at the longer distances. This will be in my 7wsm and 7saum. In my 7/300win I am just going to use the Hybrids only.

Hope that helps.
Cory

Cory, thank you, that is exactly the information I needed, and the bullet that shot the best out of my rifle. 7 SAUM, stiller action, Rock creek, A-3 sporter edge. Mark 4 6.5x20
Curtis

Distance?

My Dad used his 7mm Wby Magnum 2 weeks ago when black bear hunting in Ontario. I handloaded some 150gr Barnes TTSX in them as they were the most accurate in testing last year.

He drilled his bear with them, and it literally flipped backwards at 90 yards. Entry hit ahead of right shoulder struck 2 ribs and blew them apart, exit hole ahead of left hip was almost 2 inches in size.

He now wants me to set up all of his rifles with this bullet if possible as he was so impressed.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.