300 win mag bullet for black bear?

dclv50

I have purchased a Browning BAR LongTrac chambered in 300 win mag for my first black bear hunt. I need help choosing what ammo to purchase. What brand and grain ammo would be suitable for Maine black bear? The hunt will be from ground blinds and tree stands over bait in the woods. Thanks!

300 win mag is my favorite caliber. I like the 180 and 200 grain nosler accu bond. Have had pretty good luck with them. Good Luck

Generally, guys will tell you that black bears are easy to kill. I'd say you're putting yourself at risk if this is your mentality. Your 300 WM is a good choice. I've seen black bears fall where they're hit immediately and I've seen big boars take multiple hits and keep running only to fall over 600 yards later with mangled vitals. I've also seen them keep going even when the blood trail ends.

Often times it's not enough to put the bullet in the boiler room on the first shot. Expect to take multiple shots with bullets built to get into the vitals. Any good 200+ grain bullet in your 300 WM will get the job done. Accubonds and Partitions come to mind.

In a bear bait situation, at close to moderate range, the 220 grain Nosler partition remains the .30 calibers best friend.

Here in North East PA. I've seen Black Bear kilt with everything from the old reliable 30-30 to your 300win. mag. .I've hunted Maine woods with hounds for Bear so I know the terrain a little bit. What you should use is whatever your comfortable with shooting accurately because you don't want a wounded Bear in the Maine woods. P>S> One Bear here in N.E. PA. near Mt. Cobb weighted 805lbs. It was shot with A Marlin 30-30 170gr. Rem Core-Lokt .

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.