Best way to hunt over dead cows

madcow41

The land I have access to has 2 dead cows, one that is 5 days old with fresh scat all over it and another one that got a 30-06 to the dome piece yesterday. the terrain is open grazing pastures with rolling hills.

What is the best way to hunt over these cows. I was thinking my 300 win mag at a distance when there is no good fur but for now my .223 and or 22-250. I was also thinking about stalking around back and catching them as they transit to and from the carcass.

Thanks for the help, I need to connect with some coyotes as it may lead to good deer prospects in the fall

The land I have access to has 2 dead cows, one that is 5 days old with fresh scat all over it and another one that got a 30-06 to the dome piece yesterday. the terrain is open grazing pastures with rolling hills.

What is the best way to hunt over these cows. I was thinking my 300 win mag at a distance when there is no good fur but for now my .223 and or 22-250. I was also thinking about stalking around back and catching them as they transit to and from the carcass.

Thanks for the help, I need to connect with some coyotes as it may lead to good deer prospects in the fall
wow... you have a great opportunity to do some long range shooting,with your 300 mag. I use 150gr. Sierra Spitzer Boat Tail or Hornady SST 150gr. Nosler brass IMR 4350 73grs. mag. primers .Ref.Hodgdon Powder Company,data.hodgdon.com Them coyotes will not leave untill you shoot them all,I have my scope set at 10X and have got them at 500yds.sleeping in the sun with a full belly,the magpies,crows will only help you with the bait pile,good luck,makes me drool I have shot alot of coyotes over dead livestock.:)gun)Have Fun,Its better to pass by a poor shot and wait for a good shot.I am not there to scare them.

While I do like helping the farmer out I dont get to shoot coyotes if I kill them all... so im thinking a good plinking is in order.

but I like good fur and I also like deer in the fall

While I do like helping the farmer out I dont get to shoot coyotes if I kill them all... so im thinking a good plinking is in order.

but I like good fur and I also like deer in the fall

Iam a cattle man too and lost 8000.00worht of calfs to coyotes thats why i am hunt them tight now calfing is startig and one is to many.

My vote is for pass shooting a little way from the cows. From personal experiance you can't shoot too many. We have killed as many as 21 coyotes from ONE section(1 mile square) in a single winter. You can't shoot too many, you just can't do it.
I don't know how thw pass the word but they do. If you have a great setup, shoot them all. Then go back and shoot some more.
ENJOY!gun)gun)

My experience that getting yotes over carcasses has been a bust.

Hauled many a dead calf to the bushes. Harvested zero yotes. The went super nocturnal.

Over elk carcasses pass shooting was much better. One boned out elk carcass and one whole ' unclaimed' elk about 100 yards apart resulted in 3 yotes. (No misses)

BTW The good sized cow was completely gone in 3 days!

When I lived in Arizona White Mountains I called over a few dead cows. Early morning, with some hurt pup. Gives the impression that there is fighting over meat. Better if there is some cover for you to blend.

I prefer to gun them on the way in or out of a bait, that keeps the bait in good shape and you'll kill more dogs that way. If they associate the bait with getting lit up then it's done for quite awhile.

A light sprinkling of temic will have you tight with the rancher and hunting deer in the fall. Securing some temic is the trick though :D. All kidding aside , pass shoot the area as they wise up fast if you shoot over the bait.

Theyre nocturnal for sure... I shot 2 in the morning right in the head at 300 and one at 75 with a 22/250. No pics forgot it in the 430am rush sorry. I ended up wasting the rest of the time walking around the rolling hills not seeing anything. Unfortunately it seems I need to hunt them at night.

The best advice I can give to shooting over bait is the EXACT same as it is to call in coyotes.
DO NOT EDUCATE THEM.

If you have 4 coyotes on bait and you only have one shooter...wait until 2 leave on their own accord. If you have two shooters, plan your shots so that you can drop them before they run. Wait for a pair to line up and try to take two at once.
Do your very best to kill everything and if you have to, let a couple walk.
It's hard to do, but it's easier in the long run.
If you let any of them get away after hearing gun fire, they will be educated and hesitate before returning.
If you have one or two, take them both out and return the next day or two, to see if their are any others that weren't there before.

Plan your spot/stalk accordingly. Move in before first light and get to a spot where you can take your shot, without being winded. This is the perfect opportunity to think like a sniper, not just a predator hunter.

It won't take long for new coyotes to move into a new area after they realize the previous occupants are gone.

We have a spot 200 yards from the house that we move dead cows to, always the same spot, always out in the open...and we usually take 5-10 calf killers off of it throughout the year. Often times, we shoot them right out the 2nd story bedroom window. It never fails. Kill 2 today, and a week later, two more show up.
If you let one get away, chances are, it won't be back for a while...if ever.

Thanks cbass, sweet vids by the way.

I'm going to try it out Saturday morning and see what happens. I think I'm gonna try to set up on an opposite hill and shoot down into the pile, I've only seen a couple dogs out there at once. Hopefully my buddy can come or I will have to wait them out. But i got a sweet set of binos that are gonna help me glass the area

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.