Best way to enlarge #6 hole in EGW rail to #8?

Black Sheep

Just got an EGW pic rail for the Edge, and the receiver is drilled for 8-40 screws, but the rail is drilled for a #6 screw. I have a few step drills, but of course they aren't the right size. I'm just worried about not having it centered

Counter bore tools for #8 socket head screws are available from ENCO, MSC, etc. If the counterbore is shallow, you can use a drill press.

Beware the screws supplied by EGW are poor quality and the heads are prone to stripping. EGW and Brownells both sell higher quality screws.

The rail is already counterbored for the screws, it just has a through hole to fit the #6 screws, and I need it to fit the #8 screws that I had EGW send with the rail.

This is a super easy fix. Just drill out the holes to allow clearance for your size 8 screws. If you do it on a drill press the drill will actually follow the existing holes and you won't have to worry about them being misaligned.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.