Best way to add forend pressure point?

On a very light contoured rifle that is. Any input?

try the five oclock and seven oclock positions. I've done it with three nylon tipped set screws at 4,6,8 oclock postions on one rifle. Seemed to help a bit under very high pressure loads, but saw little effect under light loads
gary

If you removed the pressure point from the barrel channel to do a bedding job and it shoots poorly you can replace the pressure point with epoxy. You can choose the amount of pressure by hanging that much weight from the barrel as the epoxy hardens.

Do this by placing a dab of epoxy in the stocks bedding pad area, near the front of the barrel channel. Turn the stock over, and install the barreled action from underneath the stock. Install the trigger guard screws, but do not tighten. Hold gun by butt end of stock in vise with padded jaws. Now hang desired amount of weight from barrel just in front of the forearm. Tighten the trigger guard screws, and allow the epoxy to harden.

Many light contour barreled rifles can shoot great without a pressure point if the action if free of stress points. If you have not pillar or epoxy bedded the action you may want to try that first to see if that fixes the problem. Good luck!

the reason I did the set screws was to change the node in the barrel. You need to find the dead spot, and set you pressure points in that area or better yet just after it two or three inches. I've tried them a couple inches back from the front of the forend of the stock, and that helps. Not as good as a tuner, but a lot easier.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.