Best Varminter Rifles / Calibers

Savage model 12 in 22-243 AI, custom built by Sharp Shooters Savage.
Blue printed/timed action, Douglas xx barrel 1-8 twist, custom stock, 3 recoil reducers, Ken Farrell base, Leatherwood 7-30x50 scope, custom barrel nut and recoil lug, 8 ounce trigger.
75 gr A-Max 3700 fps, 40 gr. solid copper 4600 fps, 30 gr. solid copper 5215 fps. I shoot mostly 75 and 80 gr match bullets. Its magic range is 550 to 800 yds. Even at 1400 yds with 75 gr. match bullets its impressive.
Moly coated bullets make barrel life 2400 to 4200 rds. One shot per minute and it would live forever. I don't have time for that. After 50 rds I put ice water on towel over barrel. Wait a few minute until I stop hurting and start again. After 200 to 300 rounds I pour ice water down the barrel from bolt end and chase with four dry patches and start again.
I have used this gun since 1999. I love my 22-250 AI, my .223, my 6mmbr, but this one is my pet for all shooting needs.
I can hit what I shoot at. Best shot 1151 yds on PD.
Wall, rifle on benchpond 005.JPG

My favorite standard caliber is my savage in .204, the older one and has a 24 in barrel, 39 gr Sierra at 3870. It's hell on Coyotes and P dogs. Wildcats would be my 20-250 shooting 52gr unmussig at 3800fps, is really fur friendly, or my 22-243 shooting 55grBT at over 4k which isn't fur friendly. It blows a coyote just about in two pieces LOL! Or for long range coyotes my 6-06ai shoots 95gr SMK at 3490.

Started varmint shooting with 125 grain spire point out my Model 70 30-06. After the bug really bit me I scraped together enough money to buy the best over the counter varmint cartridge. It was a new Ruger 77 in 22-250. I bought enough factory bullets to break in the barrel and generate some brass. Being stubborn and believing in bigger is better I only shot 55 grain bullets. That lasted about eighteen months. Then I went to the bench to reload and only had a bunch of 50 grain bullets. Okay. Load them up and go to the range. Looking through my scope (too poor to have a spotter back then) I thought the load was off the paper because I could only see one hole. Finally wen down ranch and had a rude awakening. That gun REALLY liked 50 grain bullets. Ten rounds in a little of a quarter inch. Never looked back.
Two years ago I had this Ruger rebarreled with a heavy varmint profile Broughton stainless fluted barrel, 1:8 twist, 26 inches long with a brake. So far the best five shot group at a hundred is .261 using 70 grain Berger over some RL 17.
Had a friend that had terminal cancer. He knew I always looked for new to me guns. He had a Browning 78 single shot in 22-250 with a Leupold 12X single power scope. He sold it to me for $300 with five hundred loaded rounds and another two hundred pieces of brass. I didn't need that gun but it is an octagon barrel with the old Browning bluing. I bought that gun to help him out and it is a BEAUTIFUL gun.
In my very opinionated but ever so humble opinion, the 22-250 is the best true varmint cartridge. There are others faster but at what cost? There are others that might be more accurate but I don't believe it is any practical difference. It isn't a 243 or 6mm but then it doesn't recoil like those rounds. With 70 grain bullets it will reach out there with minimal wind drift and get there with plenty of red mist capability.

When i first started calling coyotes i used a Stevens 200 in .243 Win & have swapped out the barrel several times over the years. I run a Sierra 75gr Varminteer over 41.5gr of IMR 4350, That load has always worked well for me. The .243 is such a versatile cartridge, ive used for deer from time to time.

My next choice is my Remington 700 in 220 Swift. Pushing a 50gr Nosler Varmint over 39.8gr of IMR4064 at 3980fps. I love this round, it drops the song dog with authority.

About 3 years ago i decided to jump on the AR bandwagon. I didn't want your typical .223 or 6.5 Grendel or whatnot. That being said i went the wildcat route. Running a 6mmSPC, necked a 6.8SPC down to 6mm. This right now is my favorite calling rig. A 70gr Speer TNT over 31.1gr of IMR8208 at just under 3200fps. It does quite the number on varmints.

I also carry a Winchester SX3 loaded with 3" mag #4 buckshot for anything up and close in the some of the thick brush i like to call in.

I have 3, a Rem 700 VSSF II 22-250/22-250AI, a Sako L461 Vixen 222 Rem and a Ruger M77 MKII 25-06.
Of them all, I feel the 22-250/AI to be the 'all around' most versatile round, factory ammo is plentiful and easy to find anywhere.

Cheers.

Nice question. I was taught to eat what you shoot and only varmints that are causing you damage.
Looking at what is written in the answers has motivated me to think about varmint shooting and maybe collecting some skins.
Now I need to study a bit about the long guns, where and what I will be shooting.

Thank you for the question and all the answers. New frontiers.

Last edited:
I've shot a gajillion groundhogs with a Rem 40X in 22-250. My favorite bullet at the time was the 52gr Sierra HPBT match bullet.
I eventually rebarreled that rifle to 22-243AI and shot 75gr (moly) Amax bullets at 3,670 ft/sec with unbelievable accuracy. Hits out to 1,000 yds killed instantly.
I bought another Rem 40X in 6mm Rem but eventually re-built it in 6.5x284 for shots exceeding 1,000 yds.
I also had a lightweight walking Rem model 7 in .221 Fireball. I shot that rifle so much that the barrel eventually went south. I threw a new barrel on in .223 just for the heck of it.
Newest varmint rig is a RRA AR-15 in 458SOCOM. I really have no idea what type of varmints this rifle is meant for but it sure is fun to shoot. Pigs don't like it much, I've confirmed that. LOL

Here is my latest Varmint rifle build.

Savage 10 in 6X45
X-caliber Savage prefit #3 24" 1:7 twist 5R barrel
Fluting done by Twisted Barrel on bolt body and barrel
Action work, recoil lug, Cerakote, and Hydrodip done by Steve Field of Roberta GA.
Hydrodipped Accustock Praire Ghost Camo
Cerakote Coyote Tan
PT&G recoil lug
Stockade bolt handle and lift kit

I built this primarily to handle heavier bullets than my 6X47 can. Now I just need to get some optics on it and head to the range.
M4gguI6.jpg

lDwnxZO.jpg

5t0dtIM.jpg

SXdxl2n.jpg

ecTvkcu.jpg

QwQZQFY.jpg

Nmir8Ar.jpg

I have a 22-243 shooting 75gamaxes at 3500 flattens coyotes really well. Now the prairie dogs them amaxes don't do very good on. So for them I use my ar which is a 6.8spc necked to 6mm shooting 58g Vmaxes at 3550. I have thought about a 243ai, 6x47, or even 22-250ai but don't know yet. 22-250 worked really well for me on prairie dogs with 55g Vmaxes.

I'm still working up a good load for my recent purchase :
Savage 110 Desert Tactical 6mm Creed.
108gr. - ELD-Match
43gr. - Superformance
3,000fps. - .0536 B.C.
I still have some to load then I'm hoping
to try them out at the Range soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.