Best Varminter Rifles / Calibers

I like the 17 HMR for shots out to 200 or so. Then the .204 Ruger Savage 10 FV for longer shots. Want to build an AR in .204. Could wipe out a whole colony of vermin for 400 yards in any direction in 10 min!

Everyone that has been thinking about or has already purchased a great Varmint Rifle has a specific reason for which one they will choose or have chosen, what is yours and why ....
It depends on what type of hunting I'm doing???
If I'm doing calling competitions, I use a 223Rem in a Rem 700. I opt for the lighter caliber because - in calling competitions, weight counts. I don't want to blow much weight away. Ranges in my hunting areas are generally within 200 yards.
If I'm just hunting, I have two calibers I rotate between - 220 Swift and 17 Rem. I bought those guns back in the 80's and shoot them out to 700 yards of conditions allow. I have shot them enough in the West Texas wind that I could stretch them out further if needed.

Those are my favorites for varmits. I do have a number of other calibers that I have and do hunted with occasionally, just to shoot something different. 17HMR to 257 Roberts.

I haven't gotten on to the Creedmore kick yet. I haven't bought or built a new gun in a year or so, so who knows.

Keep on shooting Something!

For the money, Savage 12V fast twist 22-250 with 75 gn bullets. Mine has a Steiner TXi 5-25. More "reach" than 55 gn rounds. Shoot to 1000?????

I guess that I'm just "old school", but having bought, sold and traded too many to keep track of, I find myself hanging on to the custom Mauser in 220 Swift with a 26" barrel nestled in a beautifully grained maple stock that begs to be held comfortably against my cheek while looking thru the Leupold 12x that completes the package. And another varmit bites the dust...

Everyone that has been thinking about or has already purchased a great Varmint Rifle has a specific reason for which one they will choose or have chosen, what is yours and why ....

I just put together this bergara premier approach in 6mm creedmoor and topped it with a VX5HD. I wanted something with light recoil, decent velocity with a fast twist that I could shoot higher bc bullets to buck the wind for varmints/coyotes. Also wanted the option for cheap quality factory ammo.

12483A25-A473-4B69-BAE5-C868FDD0C42D.jpeg

I also have this 223 that has been my go to for a while for jack rabbits, rock chucks, etc. I buy the cheap fiocchi 50gr vmax ammo and shoot away. My gun shoots them sub moa and for $20/box of 50, it give me hours of fun.

651B4C04-F14F-41B1-87B1-DA247B018B66.jpeg

Last edited:
It depends on what your ranges are and what varmints you will be hunting. I recently picked up a Howa rifle in 204 Ruger and I shoot it more than she does. It's a blast to shoot!

Asking what my favorite Varmint rifle is is like asking which child is my favorite. Depending on size of Varmint and field conditions I can go with .204 Ruger, .222 Rem, .223 Rem. 22-250 Rem or for wind bucking on Yotes and Pdogs I bring out the 6MM Rem or the .257 Roberts.

If you don't care about barrel life and you want a wildcat, the 6x284 is awesome especially if you'd like to shoot deer or antelope occasionally or a 22x6mm Remington also pushes a 55 BT @ 4000 fps with much less powder then the 6x284. Either caliber is really tough on barrels when you hotrod them. My 22x6 Rem lasted about 600 rounds but it was awesome to see g'hogs get hit at 250 yards in the scope before the rifle recoiled. I won't even talk about what that little bullet moving that fast does on impact but it's pretty amazing. Now if you want an every day normal rifle, either a 22-250 or a 243 Win.

I love the 223. 40 and 50 grain v-max are as the friendly as it gets for coyote and bobcat- one little tiny hole 99percent of the time and almost everything is drt. If the ranges are past 300 yards then a 22-250 is hard to beat.

I find that my old .270 Win with 100 grain bullets and my .308 win work great on these dangerous predators, of course with such a large animal shot placement is critical especially on something like a charging ground squirrel !!!............;)

I have several. Most are fast. All are specific purpose driven.
17 hornady hornet in Encore: 20 varmageddon tipped at 3600 is murder on small, closer vermin, crows, etc up to marmot sized critters. Fast and flat. Tremendous launching, elevation and helicopters on small stuff. Full size marmots just die, no fanfare or splatter.
223, either bolt or AR, with lighter bullets for ground squirrels and closer prairie dog shots. Higher volume tends to heat things up in the bigger guns and recoil can become a factor after a few consecutive 400 shot days.
22-250 or the Ackley version: faster twist and heavies here. marmots to 600 beware, and no case growth in the AI version. I used to shoot a lot of prairie dogs with straight 22-250 and 50 vmax or ballistic tips, but I moved and dont have the same access so I rebarreled and shoot 80 amax; it's a 243-light.
243 bolt or encore: encore lends itself well to fitting between console and seat. Either shoot 70 tipped varmageddon over 3400 which is fantastic for launching, elevation and helicopters. The bolt gun will send a 105 amax over 3000 with Retumbo. That bullet is the one to write home about on smaller stuff; it is NOT a big game bullet.
375 JDJ 16" encore: not a joke. Fantastic truck gun for, well, anything. Shooting partner and I took 12 marmots with this and the 358 JDJ with fantastic results. Most any body hit evacuates the insides fully. Moderate recoil, but not a 100 shots per day cartridge. My 375 shoots the 235 Speer at about 2000. The 358 sends a similar 180 speer at 2200 or so. Rabbits and marmots beware, but it is effective on deer and even larger stuff too. Certainly not a 600 yard round, but use your head and all is well.
6.5 Creed with 140 amax or eld-m: amazing kills on prairie dogs and marmots. Barely enough bullet for deer, but they will exit on a double lung shot, even at 400+.

Its hard to beat the 22-250 with a fast twist barrel. I really like to shoot heavies to keep the wind from pushing me as much. Also nice to have easy access to factory ammo when you can run out or it comes up missing, when you are a long way from home.

The Ole Walking Savage in .17 HH...there is just something about pushing 3900 FPS with 10 grains of powder and exploding crow feathers floating down to earth..... and the .204 Ruger with 39gr Tipped Sierras for larger varmints....and there is always a 24gr... sizzling down range at 4500 fps...that is just plain spooky !! Waiting on the Hay to be cut and try one out on a Whistle Pig or crow. Would love to spend a day in MidWest popping y'alls lil Dawgs ! I know you guys have a great time....I am envious !! Lots of great replies...and bullet/gun choices..makes me want to get the ole 22-250 out of retirement...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.