Best twist for 338 Lapua Mag?

Derek M.

I'm looking at Hart's website and see that they offer 9 and 10 Twist for their 338 bbls with an extra charge for the 10T.

What is the best twist for a 338 Lapua Magnum. I plan on shooting the heavier bullets. And what is the ballistic differences b/w the 338 Edge and 338 Lapua?

One thing I'm considering is brass: Lapua for the LM or Remington for the Edge. No brainer. BUT, would consider the edge if it beats the Lapua Mag by a substantial margin.

Frankly, with my life schedule, I'm getting lazy. And the thought of having to convert brass to a new diameter doesn't sound fun. So, I'd be content spending the $$ on Lapua cases.

Please advise.

10 twist is pretty much the standard, at lapua velocities you will have no problem with 300 grain lead core bullets (ie SMK, Berger..) Ballistically they are basically equal, some guys will say one is better than the other by 50 feet or so but nothing thats really measurable in the field. I went with a Lapua based soley on the Lapua Brass offering. I wanted as accurate of a round as possible without neck turning. There are a lot of factors though, the Lapua isnt "simple" if you want to build on a 700 action and make it a repeater itll need some action work, and normal priming tools like the Lee arent useable, there are a few special purchases that will need to be made... In the end I am glad I went with the Lapua

I looked at all my options years ago in .338 when I built my .338LM. It is very close in velocity to the Edge with the edge beating out by maybe 30 to 40 fps. That said, my LM is a 27 1/2" tube and if loaded it up to where I see some edge loads and also had a 30" tube, I feel it might just match the edge for velocity.

I only shoot 300gr bullets with what I feel is a reliable load of H-1000 and I get 2800 fps from my 27 1/2" Lilja 1 in10 twist 6 land tube. My brass life is GREAT!! going on the 14th loading with the first 100 cases I bought for it.

The rifle still impresses me every time I touch it off. It is a true 1/2 moa rifle to 1500 yards and beyond and will print some 1/2 moa groups at a mile when conditions allow.

I feel the 1 in 10 is good to go for a .338 edge or LM with 300's. I know that is also what Shawn Carlock uses as well.

Jeff

Well I just found out I'm out of luck with the current action I have. It already has a Sako extractor and is a 700 action for a 300 RUM so it will not work for the 338 Lapua. Dang it.

So, now I'm looking at either buying a new action or going with the edge with the current action. Oh heck it's only money, I'll get both.

Shawn's policy is not to work on previously smithed rifles and I respect that. Hart barrels website lists a "338-300 RUM" reamer.

Is this the same as the "Edge?"

If so, I think I'll ship it to Hart and let them rebarrel it.

Please advise. I can't get Hart on the phone.

You have a couple options, open your bolt face for the lapua, (unless having the sako style cut in it makes his not possible? guess I dont really know but I wouldnt think so)
OR do what I did, I bought a custom bolt from Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge. It is actually quite affordable. I think I paid $240 for a .700 diameter (.005 bigger for tighter fit than factory) Fluted, M-16 style extractor (stronger and Dave reccomended that over sako style for the Lapua) with all the guts and handle of your choice and bolt face of your choosing. In my opinion it was money well spend, adds a nice little extra bit of custom touch and functionability to your build

Shawn's policy is not to work on previously smithed rifles and I respect that. Hart barrels website lists a "338-300 RUM" reamer.

Is this the same as the "Edge?"

If so, I think I'll ship it to Hart and let them rebarrel it.

Please advise. I can't get Hart on the phone.

If you ask Shawn, he will tell you that if you let him re-blueprint the action to his specs, he will do the job.

Yes, the 338-300RUM is the same as the Edge.

I too ran into the same problem you did. If you want to call it a problem. I wanted a 338Lapua based 30 cal. The best I could do at the time was a 700 LA with a RUM bolt face. My smith refused to chamber a Lapua cartridge on a 700 action as well so the choice was simple. I ended up with the 300RUM. Now it is a 338Edge. I cant say I have any regrets with the chambering. Remington brass, while needs some prep work, is actually pretty decent. I really have to screw up to get the primer pockets loose. The 338 Edge is a very accurate offering. Everybody seems to follows Carlock's mentality of H1000 and it is easy to see why. Loads are easy to tune with it. Right around 89-90 +/- is a sweet spot for most Edges. Mine is 89.0 on the nose. A few use Retumbo etc...but H1000 definately seems to be a sweet spot.

A 12 twist will stabilize a Berger 300 grain with about a 1.15-1.2 SF. An 11x will offer about a 1.4 while the 10x will be around 1.7 SF. Yes, a 10x will handle any 300 grain jacketed lead bullet you want. The 9x barrels are for the heavy mono-metal bullets such as some of the VERY long/heavy GS custom bullets etc.....

Let us know how it turns out.

Mike and Michael:

Shawn and I talked on the phone and he did mention getting a new bolt because once the extractor is installed, it's done. So I'd pay 240 for a new bolt for sure but it has to be LEFT handed. So if you have contact for the tool guy, please post!

I will post what Hart tells me about their reamer if they return my call.

I emailed Shawn just now as well to see if their reamer and his are the same so I can buy his custom die set.

I'd be happy for Shawn to redo the rifle but he did state his policy is to not touch it, and I assumed that would include him going over the action.

So where I stand at the moment is sending it to Hart.

Mike and Michael:

Shawn and I talked on the phone and he did mention getting a new bolt because once the extractor is installed, it's done. So I'd pay 240 for a new bolt for sure but it has to be LEFT handed. So if you have contact for the tool guy, please post!

I emailed Shawn just now as well to see if their reamer and his are the same so I can buy his custom die set.

I'd be happy for Shawn to redo the rifle but he did state his policy is to not touch it, and I assumed that would include him going over the action.

Pacific Tool & Gauge Inc. - Remington Performace Parts
I have to say I am very happy with how these guys handle business. One Time I bought bottom metal that wasnt perfect so I called them and told them, they said send it back. So I did along with an order for some more parts that I wanted, and not only did they send me a new replacement part they gave me the rest of my order for free and paid the shipping just to be sure I was happy.

Mike and Michael:

I will third the PTG.

Double check with Shawn about re-doing your action. Yes, he is firm on not re-barrelling on an action he did not blue-print. He has told me the same thing recently. He did not offer to do the job if he re-did it. I had to ask. Once I asked if he would do the job if I allowed him to re-do it he said he would be happy to. I dont speak for Shawn but if you call him or email him, I think you will be pleasently suprised.

If you are going through Bobby Hart's crew you would be looking at the 338 Hart. The Redding die sets are there sitting on the self and he has plenty of formed brass ready to go. Hart was the first with the 338x300 RUM called by its own name. When asked about the edge he will tell you about the 338 Hart its been out for a lot longer than the edge and has all the topend build specs for it. As with most gunsmith wildcatters they don't usually hold patten rights to their propietery rounds so people always copy and try to get media attention to bring it to the spotlight. Not saying anything bad about the edge just saying if you really like that one Hart Rifle would be the one to go with. Also i just was there at the shop a few days ago and know the stuff it there for it. Good Luck.

Well when I mentioned "Hart," I was referring to Hart Barrels in NY, and not Hart Rifles. I was under the impression that the Edge was slightly different in some way than the 338-300 RUM.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.