Best tripod for Vortex Razor spotter

Reynolds02

Hey guys,

Interested to see what most guys are using for a tripod when glassing for elk from 800-1400 yds. It will be used with horses/mules packing but would like it to be comfortable in a pack if needed, so I don't want a lead sled. Stability is a concern, I'm moving away from a loose/wably tripod and have never had a good one. I was looking at the summit ss, but was concerned it would be too light. The other is a Pro GT from Vortex...have no experience with either but would like some insight to what everyone likes and advantages/disadvantages...Thanks in advance, Tyler

Tyler,

I am going to give you the advice that you do not want to hear. You're going to have to pony up for a good tripod/head setup. Just like good optics (and a good mounting system) are required for a good rifle - the same goes for your spotting scope: it needs a good tripod/head if you want to squeeze the performance out of the scope.

I am curious to know what percentage of the time will you be sitting vs. standing when glassing? I am assuming you have either the 65mm or the 85mm objective lens, but what is the exact model of Razor you have? Straight or angled? How tall are you? Who is the tallest person who'll be using the setup? How often are you on steep terrain?

Without knowing the answer to these questions, I can tell you that you're going to want a good Manfrotto or Gitzo tripod and head. Like everything else, you're going to make compromises between performance, price, weight, stability, and portability.

Carbon fiber is more expensive than aluminum.
Aluminum is more durable (though if you take care of carbon fiber, it can last a long time).
Three leg section tripods are more stable than four leg section tripods
Three leg section tripods are usually a tiny bit lighter than the equivalent four leg section tripod.
Four leg section tripods collapse down into a smaller package and are therefore more portable.

My budget choice would be ($225ish and 5.3 lbs total weight):
Tripod: Manfrotto 290 XTRA 3 Section Aluminum
Head: Manfrotto 700RC2

My high end choice would be ($1100ish and 4.2 lbs total weight):
Tripod: Gitzo Traveler Tripod Series 2 Carbon 4 Section
Head: Gitzo Soulid 238 quick release fluid head

Keep in mind that the high end choice isn't simply lighter. There is a lot more performance (steadier, more compact when collapsed, quieter, etc) in this choice. And yes, way more $$$!

Also, you can buy a nicer Manfrotto setup and you can buy a cheaper Gitzo setup, so it isn't as if I am comparing Tasco to Schmidt & Bender here.

As for the two Vortex products you mentioned: there is no way that Summit SS is up to the task. Absolutely no way. The PRO GT gets you close, but I wouldn't head to the hills with it. I'd prefer the budget Manfrotto setup I put together for $75 more all day long.

I hope that helps. Fire back with answers or questions as to why I said what I said!

Paul in Boise

Thank you very much for the info, that's probably the route I will take. Do I need to get a adapter or quick change plate to mount to that head?

I assume when you say you're going that route that you mean the budget choice. Either way, buying the tripod and head separately will require no additional hardware. Tools should be provided to mount the head to the tripod. If not, perhaps a common Allen wrench should be all that is needed.

A 3/8" stud connects tripod to head and as long as you can open and follow a set of instructions, you'll be okay (this is when to actually read them). The head comes with one base plate, which is all you need. However, if you want to be able to put multiple items on the tripod (bino mount, rifle mount/rest, rangefinder, second spotting scope, etc.) then you're going to need to buy another mounting plate which should only set you back about $15. These mounting plates have the standard 1/4" / 20 thread that most scopes and cameras use. You could transfer the plate from one piece of equipment to another, but that defeats the purpose of the otherwise quick and convenient design. I would buy a plate for each device.

Given your height, you should be just fine with that tripod in nearly every circumstance.

I don't think you'll be disappointed!

That's sound advice, I use the same Manfrotto set-up. I hate to pack it around, but sure appreciate it for long distance spotting, especially when the wind is howling.

Lol, sorry and yes definitely be going with the budget tripod and head. I am very happy to hear it is worth packing around because we would like to start doing some fun filming on our hunting and shooting. Definitely want a descent setup to start things but not break the wallet too much..it should help the rangefinder as well

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.