Vortex Razor HD 85mm spotter

TRG65

My wife found a Black Friday deal on Vortex spotter last year. So this match season, I've been putting it to a lot of use. I put the fixed 22x Mil ranging reticle eye piece on it. I get a lot of comments at matches about how clear it is and easy to see impacts. However, I hadn't had a chance to try it for low light. I hunt a field in PA that is between 230 and 330 to the other side where most of the deer come out. For the last few days, I've gotten to use it pre-season and then for a first day buck hunt to watch bucks both at first light and last. My son and I were waiting for a 4x4 to come out that I had seen previously, so his shot got pushed until the very end of the day. Even in the last 5-10 minutes of legal light, I was able to pick out the bucks from the does, and the spikes from the fork horns. I picked him out a 2x2 at 200 yds that was the best in the field at that time and he dropped it. For next weekend's hunt, I'm thinking about trying the 27-60 eye piece that comes with it, because unlike for matches, I don't need the reticle for hunting. I have been very impressed. I hadn't been much of a fan of Vortex, but serving as an RO for PRS I got to look through a lot of brands. To get better, I think you have to spend 3-4x the money that the Razor 85mm costs.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.