Best Sub $1K Action With Prefits Readily Available

I've been following the recent thread about trueing a R700 vs custom actions. It just doesn't add up in my mind to go that route when there are all these readily available custom actions.

I'm thinking of putting together another fun gun and I'm thinking of trying a two lug (already have a three lug I love) R700 form factor action. That gives me many options for triggers and stocks. Still haven't decided on cartridge, so if SA and LA are available that's good.

It must take prefit barrels as I don't want to rely on a gunsmith since I live out in the middle of nowhere and already have the tools to do it myself. I'm not partial to Remage or Savage thread pattern, either is fine with me. Barrel nut is fine, shouldered barrel is a bonus. Reasonably priced prefits that I know of are Criterion, Shilen, Proof SS. I'm sure there are others. I'm not a Impact $750 barrel kind of guy with this build.

With that said, what action would you guys recommend?
Bighorn action and proof barrels or PVA there are a lot of custom barrel makers and shops doing shoulder pre fits and savage type barrels the barrel is the cheapest part of your set up and the nice thing is they are easily changed out when you need to and with bighorns you can change out the bolt head and barrel to any cal you want I have done 6 this winter last one was with a shoulder fit proof carbon fiber barrel in 6.5PRC for the man for sheep but then he added a S.S. barrel 18 inch 375H&H for carrying while doing salmon counts this summer in Alaska

The two I owned we're both the worst I've ever seen for copper fouling, and cold bore flyers of any barrel that I've owned.
And that includes a pile of factory rifles.
They really are garbage for a Precision rifle, and I hate to say that because their customer service is really good.
Because they get so much CS Practice...😂👍🏻

Been researching this topic for quite a while as it is what I am in the process of doing. I decided on a zermat origin in a long action. When I draw an elk tag I can spin on a 300wm pipe then when it comes time for varmint hunting I can change the bolt face and spin on a 6mm pipe and run it.

I have had good luck with xcaliber barrels and when they run their sales you can get their prefit Barrels for pretty cheap as well as barrels from James and Northland Shooter Supply.

My son in Alaska built me a R700 in 308 Win, The action was trued bedded in a target stock and fitted with a Jared trigger. The gun will shoot a 2 inch group at 500 meters if I do my part. Not sure spending money on custom action would be any more accurate for me.

Last edited:
around here we run bighorn origins with shilen or cbi barrels from northland shooter supply. In our group there's a couple tenacity's as well. Most have barrel nuts. And all shoot sub .5" groups with their preferred loads on any given day. I have 1 SR3 in a 6 creed with a 26" shilen .109 FB barrel. A origin switch barrel that I shoot 26" shilen 204 and 17" xcaliber 6 creed and an origin with a shouldered kreiger 22 creedmoor at 25". All shoot tiny bug hole groups. Dad has a origin with a 24" medium sporter CBI 6.5 creed that shoots sub .5 all day. Best Buddy has an origin with a 26" shilen 7 twist saami throat and it shoots factory 108eldm and 4451 at 40.5gr at the same velocity and poi both into .3-.4" groups on a regular basis. Other friend has a tenacity with a CBI 6XC from northland and it shoots 95 Berger's in the .3s. Gunsmith friend has a tenacity with a shouldered benchmark in 223 12twist shoots 50vmax .3's or smaller with n133. Have yet to see any accuracy difference between a shilen/cbi nut barrel vs a shouldered barrel. They shoot extremely well. Currently I'm building a 300wm on a la origin with a 26" cbi 4 groove. I have zero doubts it will give me any trouble. Can't go wrong with most quality components out there

I love my bighorn, but next time I order an action, it will definitely be a Terminus from Joel Russo. The pictures posted by him above seem to be the norm rather than the exception! (Based on what I have seen from more than a couple of smith's across the country.) I have no dog in the fight. Just my 2 cents.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.