Best stock to control recoil

Willy 1

Can some of you guy's give me some ideas on this. What I have is a 375 Ultramag in a Rem 700 bdl. pin barrel. I think the gun and scope would be lucky to weigh in at 7.5 lbs. The recoil is not real terrible but not pleasant either. I am trying to avoid putting a break on it so just curious if there is a good stock/recoil pad combination out there that would help.
Thanks

A thumbhole such as Darrel Hollands (hollandguns.com) sporter and a Pachmeyer Decelarator would be good. You can add weight to the stock, and/or a mercury recoil reducer.

The greatest amount of bothersome recoil is usually caused by the up swing of the rifle after the bullet leaves the barrel. That's caused by the recoil axis (bore axis) aligned above the center of the butt plate. Use a stock with zero drop in heel and it'll be better. If you can find some pictures of large caliber bolt action elephant rifle stocks, virtuall all of the good ones have their heel well aligned with the bore axis. They rise much less after the bullet's gone down the barrel.

Weight and muzzle brakes (not breaks, you want to "stop" recoil, not damage it) will help the rearward push after the bullet's left the barrel. Can't do much about recoil while the bullet's going down the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.