Best scope for the money

In some ways I sympathize. I kind of understand where you're coming from in not knowing the general situation of long range hunting and feeling like you were only expressing your personal opinions..

But it's analogous to going on a pro drag racing forum asking about supercharged big blocks and talking about how you would never pay more than 400 dollars for a small block Chevy motor, and how you have no need in going faster than 75mph. It has undertones and implications that
  1. Other people should not be spending those amounts of money on their hobbies
  2. They don't need to go that fast either
It also comes really close to debating ethics of LRH, which is not allowed and many people take that rule seriously

Thanks, this is what I was trying to tell him.

Sightron is great glass for the price. I have never seen it mentioned on this site but their custom shop can put a zero stop on the elevation and cap the windage which makes them a great hunting scope for the money and weight.

I think that you as a person are completely in control of what you do and what you believe to be ethical. Just because you don't want to shoot that far doesn't mean that you couldn't. People limit them self all the time. I agree the wind can play some with wind drift. Up down side to side. Mostly side to side but its about using your equipment. And knowing the limitations there of. I don't think you should shoot unless you are sure you can make the shot. But with that being said, on a good day I wouldn't hesitate shooting 1250 plus yards, and have done so on many accessions. Its all about pratice, bullet B.C., sectional density and foot pounds of energy. Hopefully that clears up any misunderstanding. That is why we spend the big buck. So if we see an opportunity we can get the job done. Put that meat in the freezer. You ever been on a hunt where there are so many people that the Elk are staying miles away from where you can get to them? Just as you think you are there you look and they have move a 1000 yards more as you advance toward them. This is where you either give up or have spent the time and money to be able to reach out and touch them. Either way it cost you. You go home empty handed and spent your money for nothing on your trip. Or you go home like me tired as he'll but grinning from ear to ear.
the reason I came here was because this guy worked for me is moving to Montana and we went out there had a pole barn put up by the Mennonites and finished it off into a house he saved 50K. he wants me to go elk hunting with him. My long range (target) setup is a Savage 26" barrel 280 rem which I will use if I go out there. I have shot the A-Max 162 at 3000 fps with excellent results. Now they have the 175 ELD-X with .69 BC with excellent SD which I figure I can push around 2800 FPS. it is plenty for real long shot but when using my M1A at 5-600 yds at an elk size target (4x8 plywood) I would get around 80% good hits. sometimes you do everything perfect and the bullet goes off track. that is my concern. I built a house for a guy that shot in Palma matches where he used a 32" barreled 308 with $2K peep and globe sights shooting 155 gr palma bullets with under .5 BC at 1000 yds. these guys are amazing and he showed me a lot. your post is excellent logical and you are right. the shots you guys make are impressive

Yeah I get ya Uka, and I would have to agree. I have rifles more than capable of taking game at long range but prefer to sneak in as close as I can. I dont like to carry a spotting scope so I need really good glass to see good detail that far. I have had several occasions where I laser ranged a mule deer at 800 yards and even through my March scope at full zoom with spectacular glass, I couldnt tell if it had antlers or if I was seeing some brush behind it. At 600 yards I sometimes have trouble determining if there is a small fork on one antler or not. (New Mexico requires one antler to be forked) So to reiterate, having a ton of zoom and clear glass on your scope is more for identifying small details way down range IMHO and there are still a lot of limitations/obstacles to consider (like mirage etc). I could easily take a deer at 500-600 yards with a 9X scope, no more than 15X to 1000 yards. I just wouldnt be able to tell you if it were a doe or a buck before I shot it. Point is, you dont need a lot of zoom to take animals at long range. You need the zoom to identify them. Now target shooting is a different story. Aiming at trying to shoot something much smaller...
not being able to see detail at long range with your excellent scope is a big part of what I was trying to say and I am surprised the result you had with that scope. you wrote a very good post laying out the realities involved in this sport. seems like you are gonna have to try to find a light compact spotting scope lol

In some ways I sympathize. I kind of understand where you're coming from in not knowing the general situation of long range hunting and feeling like you were only expressing your personal opinions..

But it's analogous to going on a pro drag racing forum asking about supercharged big blocks and talking about how you would never pay more than 400 dollars for a small block Chevy motor, and how you have no need in going faster than 75mph. It has undertones and implications that
  1. Other people should not be spending those amounts of money on their hobbies
  2. They don't need to go that fast either
It also comes really close to debating ethics of LRH, which is not allowed and many people take that rule seriously
I understand you 100% and you would be right if my post was to insult people . it wasn't. we are here to learn and I have learned from you now with your post. one guy replied to me and said at 600 yds with his March scope which is one of or maybe the best out there could not see if a mule deer had horns or not with mirage sun clouds etc. that was what I was trying to say. real long shots have many obstacles to overcome and lot has to go right. so I figure for me 500 yds would be max from what I have seen in the field target shooting. I purposely stayed off the extreme long range forum figuring they would be starting at 1000 yds. I really wanted to see the gear that you guys have

I understand you 100% and you would be right if my post was to insult people . it wasn't. we are here to learn and I have learned from you now with your post. one guy replied to me and said at 600 yds with his March scope which is one of or maybe the best out there could not see if a mule deer had horns or not with mirage sun clouds etc. that was what I was trying to say. real long shots have many obstacles to overcome and lot has to go right. so I figure for me 500 yds would be max from what I have seen in the field target shooting. I purposely stayed off the extreme long range forum figuring they would be starting at 1000 yds. I really wanted to see the gear that you guys have
Uka, you would probably get a lot out of going to a long range school and shooting at least a few days. That would be a confidence building experience. That 280 rem will do just fine.

I'm seriously wondering if we will be able to get a gen 1 razor at the 1k mark soon now that they have dropped prices on gen 2s. If so that will be an awesome option.

You would have to get on them quick. Watch optics planet or call vortex directly. The same thing happened with the Cronus Gen I. They were $1,800 and as soon as the Gen IIs dropped you could get the Gen I from cabelas and optics planet for $950!! That lasted about a week before they were sold out. Cronus Gen II are back up to $1800 again.

You can find Gen I Razors on the forum for about a grand. I've seen them on here and AS.

If you are looking for a hunting scope and weight is a consideration I think you should take a serious look at the VX5 HD. Has been mentioned earlier and at 19oz this scope is impressive for under $1000. The turret is low profile and has a locking button you must push to adjust the turret (assures it does not unintentionally turn). It only goes up to 15 power but easily covers to 1000 yards. The Impact-29 retical is another plus. If you are more concerned with paper and need a higher power the Burris XTR IIs have great tracking and decent glass; just a little heavy. Obviously several great options out there but these are the ones that have worked well for me, in your price range.

You would have to get on them quick. Watch optics planet or call vortex directly. The same thing happened with the Cronus Gen I. They were $1,800 and as soon as the Gen IIs dropped you could get the Gen I from cabelas and optics planet for $950!! That lasted about a week before they were sold out. Cronus Gen II are back up to $1800 again.

You can find Gen I Razors on the forum for about a grand. I've seen them on here and AS.
Picked my Razor Gen 1 for 1300 tax included recently at a local retailer. Not sure will get much cheaper than that for a NEW one but I guess it's possible. Great scope and it's a beast.

Not sure if this one's been thrown out there yet but the Sig Sauer tango 6 is an awesome scope and right now there 1200 at optics planet. Definitely a little heavy but great glass and turrets, tracks spot on and very tough.

I went down on the ice back in a marsh twice dragging my buck out plus flat dropped my gun on the scope once (it was a hellish drag breaking through ice in spots and slipping in others). Scope came out without a scratch and held zero perfect.

What you really need to do is go to a store that will let you look through the scopes that you are interested in. The whole favorite scope thing is really in the "eye of the beholder" type of logic.

Tons of people like the Vortex line of scopes. I can't stand them but that is because I have a stigmatism in my right eye and I cant get the vortex scopes to focus right for me. I can get either the target crystal clear or the reticle crystal clear but I can't get both.

I have a NF NSX that is awesome. The glass is good, the turrets are great but it is super heavy. My VX5 HD is a great scope but I like my turrets to stick out and have a lot of grip on them with decent sized numbers on them so I can see easily. I am going to have to give a look at the XTR II. It looks like it has the kind of turrets that I like and everyone is saying the glass is good.

Basically what I am saying, is take the long list that these guys provided here and look through the scopes listed on it to get your short list. Then you can make an educated purchase and be happy with what you have.

Just because it works awesome for one persons eyes doesn't mean its going to be good for yours. That's why we have tons of pages of discussions on scopes, binos and spotting scopes and I believe these discussions are a good thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.