Best rings for non-braked 338 win mag

Joe270

I have a winchester classic stainless 338 win mag and I'm mounting a Nightforce shv 4-14x56(heavy) on it. I'm have a pic rail installed already because that's what I on everything. Do I need steel rings to hold this scope on? Gun kicks like a mule and the scope is heavy. Would like to keep the weight down. What rings would recommend for this situation?

Attachments

• A2FD3722-7050-474F-B733-826593932D8D.jpeg
    A2FD3722-7050-474F-B733-826593932D8D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 113
I can't imagine why you would need steel rings. I use Burris Signature rings with the plastic inserts in several rifles, including 300RUM & 338RUM and have never had a scope slip.

Alloy rings should work fine IMO.

Night Force X-treme duty ultralight (6 screw)
Or Seekins Rings would serve you well.

I've also had good luck with the Burris Sig rings on magnums. But I don't think they are near as good as the top 2 choices mentioned.

Great always good to have personal experience with a product would like to stay under 100$ for a set also. Hate to be cheap but sometimes price just adds bling when all I need is function

Also anybody looking to part with a set of good rings send me message. 30mm low or medium. More than likely will need mediums with a 56mm objective.

Vortex rings are made by seekins I believe, and are cheaper. They look almost the same and I've had good luck with them to.

I have a winchester classic stainless 338 win mag and I'm mounting a Nightforce shv 4-14x56(heavy) on it. I'm have a pic rail installed already because that's what I on everything. Do I need steel rings to hold this scope on? Gun kicks like a mule and the scope is heavy. Would like to keep the weight down. What rings would recommend for this situation?
I have had really good luck with Vortex Pro rings, but of course the biggest thing that I am shooting is a 300 Win Mag.

I have a Leupold Picatinny mount and Leupold Mk IV rings on my .338 WM and the scope is on rock solid. Scope isn't as heavy as yours, VX-5HD 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2 SIDE FOCUS WIND-PLEX.
In the military we used steel in everything but we were jumping out of airplanes, fast roping & rappelling. I prefer quality aluminum on my personal firearms due to their adequate strength and corrosion resistance.

Last edited:
Looks like I don't need steel and will go with alloy. Do I need to lap the more expensive rings or only the cheap ones? I don't want to lap them unless it helps

Don't skimp too much on the two small pieces of aluminum that hold a 2# optic to a rifle during recoil.
Seekins will run you about $120-140.
You will need medium or maybe even medium high to clear a 30mm tube w. 56mm objective depending on you barrel contour and scope caps/cover. Also depends on your Picatinny rail of choice. Some are definitely taller than others.

Seekins "medium" .87" 30mm w. 50mm obj over Sendero contour
20210417_075830.jpg

Seekins "low" .82" 30mm w. 50mm obj over Sendero light contour
20210127_084029.jpg

Seekins "medium high" .92" 30mm w. 52mm obj over Sendero light contour
20190518_102710.jpg

I use Nightforce - same as my scopes. Those or Seekins. Considering the time and money spent to go on a hunt, optics and their mounting systems are not the place to go cheap. Is a couple ounces more really going to make a difference? The smith that built one of my rifles told me if I was really worried over a few ounces, maybe I'd better spend more time at the gym.

I have no problem spending the money on quality items. Just looking for personal experience and preference. The barrel is a magnum sporter contour I may be able to sneak it on there with medium rings around 1.00" and the 56 mm objective

If your rail is aluminum, steel rings will likely not provide additional strength...the aluminum rail will be the weak link in the mounting system. I have a similar M70 in 338 WM and with a Talley picatinny rail and TPS HRT rings (30mm aluminum) with years of service without any issues. In fact, while readying for a shot, my shooting sticks failed and the rifle/scope slipped and crashed on a rock on a icy slope. The scope and rail held perfect zero after the incident, so I feel confident using high quality aluminum rings/rails.

If your using a quality one piece rail and quality rings, lapping may not be necessary. Dry fit the rail and the bottom of the rings to the rifle. If you can slide the scope tube smoothly in the ring bottoms with no binding or biting on the scope tube, you should be good to go. The one piece rail will help keep everything in alignment. 2 piece mounts might invite a whole new set of issues.