Best practice? Moving your reloading shop...

I recently moved to another state and know its a chore to get all the stuff relocated. I had no idea that there was so much stashed away in one room. I have already moved 2 truckloads and still haven't started on shotgun and rifle ammo ( one truckload) yet nor the 3 setups for shotshell reloading. Wads, empty shotshell cases will be another truckload! I should have bought a bigger house! The good thing is, I now know where everything is as I installed lockable cabinets in the new garage and everything is segregated into like categories.

Yep....loaded into bins by cartridge...
Shotgun wads with lead...a little weight with bulk plastic...
Lowes has small strong bins that will hold a lot of loaded ammo...just put listings on top for container....

I started off by giving away the bullets and powders I had acquired but no longer used.

Putting bullets and ammo in the smaller HDX totes from Home Depot worked well for me. The totes stack well (interlock) and the lids stay locked closed even if you choose to transport them in the back of a pick up. I went with the small totes to keep the individual box weights manageable because they still weigh 50 lbs +/- each. They also work well with a hand truck with a stack of 3-4 totes which is nice because they represent so much weight.

Medium and larger totes for lighter things like cleaning media, dies, tools and gun cleaning materials worked well but boxes might have been cheaper. I put powder and brass separately in several large black wheeled totes I got from Home Depot but full these required two people whenever it was necessary to lift them like for stairs.

For some larger items like presses, I used card board boxes from HD because the totes were impractical to fit the items.

Labelling all the totes with blue painters tape and a marker was important for me. Keeping like items together when packing helps if you need to retrieve some items for use before you get the opportunity to get fully reset up. (Unfortunately if you're like me, there are other priority items in a move beyond getting your reloading equipment reset up so it can be a lengthy process.)

I've never had a moving company take my reloading equipment, firearms or ammunition. I used a trailer the last two moves just for this material. Having the material broken into smaller components that stacked well helped me with loading/ unloading the trailer and with weight management to load the trailer correctly. If you are unfortunate enough to have to use an intermediate storage unit for the move, I would suggest being discreet with the labelling and what shows on the boxes as most storage places don't appreciate storing powder, primers and ammo.

Good luck with your move and getting re-established. I'm still in the middle of such an operation and think it will be sometime next year before I get back near where I was before the move.

Good Luck on your Move !!

What's your time gap, local move, or moving out of state?
If local, ask to visit at the house you are moving into so you can assess the layout and get a feel for the ergonomics.
  • Do NOT use cardboard boxes.
    • Use HDX like @QuietTexan suggested, though I'd avoid the largest one.
    • black-yellow-hdx-storage-bins-hdx27gonline-5-40_100.jpg
    • Get Harbor Freight moving dollys to set a stack of the HDX containers on top of:
      38970_W3.jpg
  • Pack everything neatly and inventory as you go.
    • Ideally, use a spreadsheet program.
    • If you hand write, keep multiple copies and also photograph the pages with your phone.
  • Tape a printout of the content on both ends and the top
I'm a fan of the rolling wire shelves. I have one each four foot and six foot wide by 24" deep.
80% of my reloading components are in clear plastic tubs of various sizes that fit the gear.
  • Chemicals (oils, some solvents, rust inhibitors, etc)
  • Cleaning tools and gun specific cleaning chemicals
  • Micrometers, calipers, gauges
  • Brass and neck trim tooling
  • Brass by caliber or calibers
  • Primers in separate tubs for rifle and pistol
  • Gun parts
  • Powder (already in the HDX - they keep the powder dark).
    I label each powder bottle on the top with a silver sharpie or white paint pen.
  • The casting gear is a system unto itself and has its own steel enclosure, etc.
  • I pack shooting stuff into hard sided cases like Pelicans or clam shell tool cases so it's easy grab-n-go on range days. Chrony, optics, tripod, tools, etc. They sit on one of the shelves. Old Dewalt clamshells work great, I just cut out the compartment separators.
  • The bullets are all on their own special shelving because they're so darned heavy.
  • Dies, still in their original boxes, well marked on the foot and head for easy reading through the plastic.
If I need something, I walk over to the shelf where it is, pull out the tub and grab. The action does not add more than 30 seconds to getting the gear or components, and allows me to fit 100 lbs of reloading potatoes into a 5lb sack.

When it comes to moving (planning on it within the year), my present organization will make it easier, but it will still be a major PITA.

I once had a boss that made us change offices about every 18 months. He said is was a great opportunity to purge our work space. Or perhaps he just liked being bossy...

I like to keep everything to load particular cartridge in a single smaller tote. Dies, tools, bullets, cases, and the most recent loading notes notes I have. I generally store powders and primers in other areas, but they could also go in there as well if specific to only that cartridge. When I am done loading, everything goes back in the tote and on the shelf.

A full inventory and labeling from the above comments is very beneficial as well. Good luck.

I've done similar to everything mentioned above. I box bullets in smaller boxes cause they get heavy, powder in another, brass in another, loaded ammo in another and so on. I also labeled each box with what's in there AND what cabinet/ shelf it was located in my old shop. Lighter items in those black and yellow totes that stack well.

Try and move these items all in one shot to keep the lot together. I also move my own firearms. Can always get those little colored garage sale tags to mark a color on all you gun room stuff.

No matter how you cut it, it's a PITA. I moved almost 2 years ago and just a few months ago was looking for a box I knew I had!

I am not moving but doing some remodeling and have to pull everything out of the room. Seems I have gotten somewhat disorganized over the years. This will be a good "do over" as it is driving me a little nuts. I like Quiet Texans approach, others suggestions, and I already have the totes!

I'm going to be moving and am curious if any of you have suggestions for the best way to organize the move of all reloading equipment and supplies. My own approach would be to aggregate all powder in one box, bullets in another, then brass, reloading tools, gunsmithing tools, shooting accessories, etc. Seems straightforward for the packing process, but my interest is on the unpacking and re-organizing end of things - I have my shop pretty well set up and the last time I moved it, things ended up pretty disorganized for a while. Anyone have experience that might be helpful? thx
Jeff
Take a video and photos. You WILL forget where you had everything placed. Then pack the presses in blankets etc, as others have said.

And by weight for bullets and brass.

I've moved my reloading room 2x already, 2nd time I took pictures and videos. Took a few days to get it back to 100% how it used to be.

Don't ask about the 1st time, unless you're buying the rum!

Take a video and photos. You WILL forget where you had everything placed. Then pack the presses in blankets etc, as others have said.

And by weight for bullets and brass.

I've moved my reloading room 2x already, 2nd time I took pictures and videos. Took a few days to get it back to 100% how it used to be.

Don't ask about the 1st time, unless you're buying the rum!
I had the same experience my first time, so I'm appreciating the suggestions to make my 2nd time less stressful & time-consuming. Macallan 18 is my preferred libation.

I am going to have to start all over again. Been adding reloading equipment or up grading for sometime now. Items are still coming in and more to order out. It's been interesting and I will have to build something to fit all the new equipment. The last bench I set over 45 years ago. I used a 3-0 x 6-8 x 1 3/4" thick, solid core paint grade door. I did have to add a steel plate under my single stage press, The door is flat. My other presses I added large flat washer to the underside where I bolted through.

My cousin moved from OH to SC. Moving company would not take any boxes that had powder or primers in them. Said if they did they'd have to HazMat placard the trailer and have a HazMat certified driver for the semi.