Best piece of reloading of equipment u have

I use the "cheap" Lee Balance Beam Scale but I believe you might want to get a nice digital (Read reviews before you buy). As I mentioned, I use powder dippers so once I am absolutely sure what powder I am using (you cannot trust the label until you check a charge or two) then the scale gets put away. Since I am only using Unique and I am sure my container has Unique in it my scale has been gathering dust.

Way-back machine:
No body said it was cheap lol
Reloading used to sold on this premise. "Cheaper to make your own than buy factory ammo." Heard it said a lot when I was behind the counter. I said it until I got more education on the topic. Then it mattered what you were shooting, how much you shot, and where you were shooting (hunting/plinking/BR/silhouettes/etc.). I think that's still true.

I dunno, think about the pistol comp shooters. They go thru hundreds if not thousands of rounds in a month. Same is true for shotgun shooters.

Forster Co-Ax press.

Discovered after a wild hair and using an indicator, that my old Chucker would flex and induce run out.

IMHO, the best part of reloading is the learning process. People seems to no longer take the time for this very important process and skip or dive straight through to get to the top quick. Often overlooked is the importance of reloading manuals. People relies heavily on the what is out in the internet.

My best advice for those thinking about getting into reloading is find a mentor (if you can) and get yourself reloading manuals and read up, esp. the safety aspect before even thinking of the reloading equipment. There is no substitute for safety and Murphy does not discriminate. Take your time and enjoy the learning process. Just my 2-pence to ponder.

Cheers!

Ed

IMHO, the best part of reloading is the learning process. People seems to no longer take the time for this very important process and skip or dive straight through to get to the top quick. Often overlooked is the importance of reloading manuals. People relies heavily on the what is out in the internet.

My best advice for those thinking about getting into reloading is find a mentor (if you can) and get yourself reloading manuals and read up, esp. the safety aspect before even thinking of the reloading equipment. There is no substitute for safety and Murphy does not discriminate. Take your time and enjoy the learning process. Just my 2-pence to ponder.

Cheers!

Ed

I couldn't agree more, Ed. This forum has been a an excellent source of info for me, and the internet and YouTube have been good as well. ( They both require a BS filter that is fine-tuned, though.) The best, though, has been reading the manuals - and thinking about what I'm reading. Right now I'm reading Mic McPherson's big book METALLIC CARTRIDGE HANDLOADING, and it's a really good read. I have amassed quite a library over the years, and I refer back to a lot of older works frequently.

I also agree with you that the safety aspect is by far the most important thing to study up on. Accuracy, velocity, etc. is worth nothing if you blow half your face off. Not only does Murphy not discriminate, but he works overtime. He is ALWAYS on the job.

Really appreciate all of the tips and info. I'm new to the forum and only been reloading a couple of years - mostly pistol. LED light kit mounted on my press helps out immensely.

really happy that I bought a Lee hand press I can take prepped brass and load wherever I want sometimes it saves wear and tear on the bullet puller lol

@FEENIX nailed it. I mean guns themselves have their own risk but it is amplified further when reloading your own pills. U really have to pay attention to every aspect of constucting your own ammunition. I think I enjoy the reloading side if shooting more than the actual shooting lol. There is something about doing load work and making a rifle shoot not only small groups but the ability to recreate that over and over. I normally get a new rifle do the load work up on it and then I am over It and trade it for another one to start over on! Trigger time is where it's at. No matter how good u reload if u suck at shooting, u will never reap the benefits of good quality handloads.

I've been looking at the arbor presses (K&M, 21st) and related dies (Wilson, Wilson/Sinclair) for load development at the range. I frankly wish that I had started with those instead as switching gears is gonna cost!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.