Best part of the coyote hide for a hood ruff?

Litehiker

I'm thinking of getting a good hide tanned and cut it up and line with nylon satin cloth it for a detachable parka hood ruff.

What is the best part of the hide for this? The shoulder area?

Eric B.

Litehiker make sure you get a soft tan. I had one tanned last year. When I got it back it was stiff and smelled of tanning fluid. Paid $100, waited six months, and was very disappointed. Be bold do the hood like the coon skin caps. Use the face, back, and tail.

Last edited:
hydehunter, i was thinking that the shoulder area would be best B/C of the longer hair. When I get it tanned I'll spray the fur with a silicone based DWR so my breath frost won't stick on it. I guess Wolverine fur would be hellishly expensive but frost won't stick to it.

geo, Good point on getting a "soft tanning" process. I'll inquire before I send it off.

Eric B.

Yeah, I looked at Wolverine ruff prices online and they are around $300.+ , lined and with a narrow beaver fur trim. A bit 'spensive for all the use I'd get from it. I realize wolverine fur is the best one for shedding frost but I seldom see sub zero temps, even in the Colorado Rockies.

Eric B.

Well Eric,
You should have been around here for the last 3 weeks, it struggles all day to get up to ZERO, lots of 20/30 kt winds and most nites it's been 10/15 below.............. you could have
Gotten a darn good chance to break in your new ruff ! I need to replace a Wolverene ruff on an old Eddie Bauer down jacket
It's 37 years old, so for a " home tanned one" it lasted pretty good!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.