Best Pack Food

As has been mentioned, Cheap and Good seem mutually exclusive. But if you have a vacuum packer you can do some things like your own granola mixes, etc. We researched for a BC sheep hunt once and Fritos chips were the highest calorie per ounce of anything we could find and light calories are what you want. I love the Mountain House/Peak for ease after a long day of packing and yes if you can get ahold of your own freeze drier, that would be your best bet for good and cheap because you could pack your favorite meals.

I'm a big fan of jerky (very lightly seasoned if it's going to be used as an actual food source, and not just a snack to enjoy), dried fruit, and mixed nuts. When I'm out and about it's rare that I every eat an actual meal, I just kinda graze throughout the day to keep from getting and blood sugar spikes that make me want to take a nap. The lightest food you can eat, is the food that is already where your at, and it's free. It's always a good idea know the edible native plants. Obviously that's not always a good thing to plan for, but a good thing to take advantage of. I think it's often overlooked these days, but most places that I hunt big game in have small game and/or fish.

I am looking to do more backpacking. I see all the standard backpacking meals but im wondering what alternatives you have found that is very cheap and light weight.
Knorr rice and sauce packages, they have many varieties, just add water and any meats and veggies you want, where I live you can get them at any of the dollar stores for around $1.00 to $1.50. only about 5.7 ounces per package.

I have tried quite a few different brands. The two I stay away from are Wise and O Meals. Former because it's mostly soy protein and the latter because the portions are amazingly small. My go to are Peak Refuel and Mtn House. The latter is now a distant 2nd since they revamped their package size smaller by about an ounce each with no drop in price. That's about 20-25% less "stuff". Peak is by far the best in both flavor and volume. Little bit more in cost, but you get much more. Their breakfast skillet is awesome. Backpackers Pantry and AlpineAire are hit/miss and don't rehydrate too well even when doubling the wait. YMMV

As everyone pointed out they are all expensive. Only way to do cheap is diy. If doing your own, you need a vacuum sealer/dehydrator. You can get by without the vacuum sealer if you buy some of these: https://www.amazon.com/Pleasant-Gro...1613662239&sprefix=mylar+freez,aps,169&sr=8-2
Dehydrate fruits and vegetables. Go to walmart and everything you find that says instant, buy it. Instant oatmeal, instant rice, ramen, powdered eggs if they have it etc. Spend some time in kitchen coming up with recipes that you just add hot water. Instant oatmeal of your choice and a big scoop of peanut butter in the pouch is excellent backpacking food and keeps well. If you pack things week before your trip you can seal and go. If expecting to keep them for awhile you need to pick up some silica gel packets to add in before sealing. Cost benefit of this really depends on how many meals you eat on the trail. If you are on trail 10 days or less, probably cheaper/easier/more convenient to buy any of the available backpacking meals. If you are on trail in excess days you can definately save some money, especially if you already have the dehydrator and vacuum sealer.

Good DIY food info:

Ask yourself, are you a 100-yard once a year pie plate hunter or a benchrest shooter in the backpacking world? Meaning are you in it for the easy and the fun, are you in it to do extreme things that other people will shake their heads at, or where on the spectrum in between? There's a well know place in Arkansas called the Eagle Rock Loop. ~30 miles, 4000' of elevation gain, lots of water crossings. Some people pleasure cruise it over 3-5 days, some people trail run it in one, I'm doing a two-day solo this year. Same hike for everyone involved, but some people cook full meals, some people rehydrate Mountain House, and some people eat a candy bar and push on.

Goals first, because that will define what qualifies as cheap and light.

Cheap and light is definitely possible. Look at thru hiking websites and gear lists for folks doing the Appliactian trail or PCT. There are lots of options, but best to look at these and see what looks good to you. Most breakfasts and dinners involve a very light and inexpensive base of things like instant oatmeal, instant noodles (ramen, perhaps without the flavor packet), instant potatoes, instant stuffing, etc. Then add different types of proteins, fats and flavors to theses: nuts, olive oil, butter, foil packet of tuna or chicken, dried veggies (can order in bulk off Amazon for low cost), gravy packet, instant soup packet, etc. You do not need a dehydrator or vacuum sealer for any of this.

I use commercial freeze dried dinners often because it is convenient and simple, but it's not at all necessary. The above just takes a bit more organizational time before the trip.

Last edited:
I don't know what you consider cheap or what you like to eat. So here is a site that has a large selection of brands to chose from, Garage Grown Gear.
Prices start at 7$ and go up. If you want to make your own meals subscribe to Backcountry Foodie. I hope that helps.